Processor Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor Upgrade

This may have been asked millions of times before, but I couldn't find a thread detailing my exact request, so:

I want to upgrade my processor, and I'm looking at the Athlon XP series cos I'm a bit poor!

I'm currently on a Dell Dimension 4100, with a 1Ghz PIII chip so I want to know whether I'll need a new motherboard or whatever, and what steps to do before / during upgrade?

any help would be good, thanks. Let me know if you need more system specs.

You will need a new motherboard.

It also sounds like you don't have much experience with the internals and computer hardware. In that case I would read up as much as you can.

Before upgrading you will have to look at how much money you have. What you would like to do that you can't now. And decide what you best bets are for an upgrade.
    For a store bought computer like Dell, your best bet is to use some of the parts that you can and build yourself a new computer.
    This will make for a computer that is easily upgradeable while giving you some experience as well.

I would look for a local computer shop that can help you as well. Since you don't have a lot of experience they will be able to help you.

Chez

Comment

yeah I know more about software than harware; I've got plenty of RAM, but yeah I might be able to chuck a new one together.. Cheers anyway
      *goes to do something more productive*

:cheers:

Comment

Like Chez said, you will definatly need a new mobo. Pentium based mobos and AMD CPUs don't play together very well.

When you do get a new mobo, make sure it is compatable with your ram, or you will have to get some more of that too

Comment

Abit NF7 Motherboard + XP1700 DLT3C JIUHB CPU from excaliberpc.com and 2x256mb OCZ EL 3500 will get you a LONG way on a little money.....

Those CPUs run all the way up to 2.5ghz on air cooling and will outperform the overclocked 2500 Bartons (not to mention will be running 3200+ specs easily). Has to be a good stepping though (like the one above). Plus, they're hella cheap, currently the best bang for the buck AMD you can get. That RAM will also run 2,2,2,5 timings all the way up to 230fsb..easily able to supply all the power you need.

If you don't believe me, head over to OCAddiction.com and check out the AMD users systems...

Comment

Comment

You might have a pIII with pc133...which is ancient and won't be compatiable with some amd mobos of today and if it is ...not worth it getting since that old ram would be a big bottle neck. Just double check.

Like Chez mentioned...read alot of reviews, stick around the forums...ask alot of questions... read articles here and there...that would be your best bet. Custom building a comp isn't as hard now a days...

you might want to use Dell's cd-rom/ burner, floppy, maybe its hard drive if you really are on a budget. But you should maybe invest in memory, quality motherbaord, proc. and maybe a new case. just my 2 cents...
              - Damien

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                If you don't believe me, head over to OCAddiction.com and check out the AMD users systems...
                Why on earth would anyone not believe you! :rolleyes: :D

Comment

Originally posted by Woody_87th
                  Why on earth would anyone not believe you! :rolleyes: :D
                  Just saying ahead of time, to cover my ass.....:p

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
                    Just saying ahead of time, to cover my ass.....:p
                    You should use your hands, not your mouth! :hammer:

Comment

Originally posted by Woody_87th
                      You should use your hands, not your mouth! :hammer: