Intel Compatability???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Compatability???

Just got a new barebones PC, and this will be my second Intel build. The machine is a Chyang Fun CF-S868A. This particular motherboard has either the VIA P4M266 or the P4M266A chipset (The info in the manual, on their site and from the vendor are not very clear on which one it is, and short of prying off the NB passive HS to look at the chip, and potentially voiding my warranty before the machine has even run, I can't tell which it is). I have not yet purchased a processor for this machine, and with the confusion as to what particular P4 revision will work, need some answers before investing any more dough.
    The manufacturer has both VIA chipsets listed, but no info on which one I have. The P4M266A is listed at VIAs site as capable of either a 400MHz FSB, or the 533MHz FSB of the "B" revision, whereas the P4M266 is only for 400MHz FSB. There is a jumper on the motherboard to enable the 133MHzX4=533MHz FSB, but nothing in the manual about specific processor compatibility.
    To heap a bit more confusion onto the pile, I read that a "C" revision P4 will run on a 533MHz board, and if so, I'd prefer to get the newest revision CPU as it's roughly the same price as the "A" or "B", but only if it will run on this board, and not as a lesser processor since multipliers are locked on Intels. (P4 2.4"C"@200X12=2400MHz, P4 2.4"C"@133X12=1596MHz???)
    Anyone have any insight as to what processor will work? My feelings won't be hurt if all I can use is a revision "A" CPU, but of course, I'd like to use the fastest FSB possible.
    :cheers:

Ok to the best of my knowledge the P4M266 hasn't been around for some time now (the P4M266A well and truely took over from it) and only a few PE845 mobo's classed as PE667's can handle P4C's (unclocked in their natural state but at proper speed when the mobo is overclocked).

Comment

Thanks so much Wiggo! :cheers:
      I do believe that this is a P4M266A, as it's listed as a 400/533 FSB Intel compatable at NewEgg...it's just confusing on the Chyang Fun site. I put in my specific barebones model number, and both chipsets are listed with the specs, as if you might have one or the other, with no distinctions between the two other than the FSB.
      I really do wonder why one site clearly stated that a P4C would run on a P4B board. It was stated offhandedly, with no specific mobos or chipsets mentioned. I'll go with a P4B 2.4GHz 533FSB, and perhaps go higher from there...:D
      OK, one more question: The P4B in 3.06GHz is listed as HT enabled....now, that has to be enabled by the chipset as well, right? Nowhere is the P4M266A or otherwise listed as HT enabled, but it'd be nice to know that with a future upgrade I could have HT, even at the 533MHz FSB.

Comment

Sorry but the P4M266/A are not HT capable and to the best of my knowledge HT wasn't an option until the PE845 chipset. Yes both the CPU and chipset (plus os) must support HT b4 it'll work so ya'll be out of luck with that mobo that ya have even with BIOS updates plus the only 533QDR CPU that supports it is the 3.06B (all P4C's do though but your chipset won't support them sorry).

Comment

It's all good mate....now I can order my processor. Just really wanted to confirm conflicting information before spending money on a processor that wouldn't work. I'm fine with the 533FSB and no HT. It's still going to do what I need it to do, and it's still a good processor. There's a newer version of the same Ecube based on the Intel 845 chipset that has support for "C" revision processors, and had that been extremely important to me to have, I'd have spent the extra $150 or so to get it. I sure appreciate your depth of knowledge.
          The fact that sites will post nearly any information as the gospel truth (The example I gave earlier about compatability comes to mind) really increases the value in my mind of information from someone with actual hands-on experience. Thanks mate :D :cheers:

Comment

Working...
          X