Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade processor...Keep stock heatsink fan???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade processor...Keep stock heatsink fan???

I am going to upgrade my p4 socket478 2.0ghz 400fsb to a 3.0ghz 800fsb processor. Now I want to buy an oem processor mainly cuz its cheaper on EBAY. I am planning on getting a thermalright xp 90c heatsink... What I was wandering is if I get the processor before the heatsink will I be safe using my 2.0ghz stock heatsink/fan or will I overheat?Also, If I bought a retail 3ghz would it come with the same heatsink/fan??? Thanks for the help... you guys are awesome!

Re: Upgrade processor...Keep stock heatsink fan???

It's hard to say whether or not a stock 2.0A heatsink would be enough for a 3.0C/E, but I wouldn't suggest trying it, personally. A retail CPU will come with the stock HSF for it which will almost surely be enough for the CPU. The third party cooling is best if you intend to overclock the CPU. Otherwise, it's not really worth the money, for the most part.

Comment

Thanks yawgm0th, just curious what does the letter in 3.0EGhz mean?

Comment

A 3.0E is a 3GHz Pentium 4 with a Prescott core, while a 3.0C would be a 3GHz Pentium 4 with a Northwood.

Comment

Okay so which one is better??

Comment

That depends on what you're doing. For video encoding, the Prescott would probably be better. I'd rather have the Northwood for overclocking, gaming, and heat. Those Prescotts put out a lot of heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bageland2000
              I am going to upgrade my p4 socket478 2.0ghz 400fsb to a 3.0ghz 800fsb processor. Now I want to buy an oem processor mainly cuz its cheaper on EBAY. I am planning on getting a thermalright xp 90c heatsink... What I was wandering is if I get the processor before the heatsink will I be safe using my 2.0ghz stock heatsink/fan or will I overheat?Also, If I bought a retail 3ghz would it come with the same heatsink/fan??? Thanks for the help... you guys are awesome!
              Ok you want to upgrade your CPU but will your old mainboard support the faster CPU (or are you replacing that too)?

Comment

Yes, thanks for the concern wayout44... my mainboard was about the most up to date component when i built my pc and it supports 800mhz fsbs... its an 865perl

Comment

Working...
                X