Unlock extra L2 Cache in X2 3800+ Toledo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlock extra L2 Cache in X2 3800+ Toledo

Ok, I just got a 3800+ X2 Toledo core CPU. I am absolutely certain it has the Toledo core. I have read that it has half the L2 disabled to make it 512MB on each core. Anyone out there heard of a way to unlock it to the full 1MB on each core? I have done alot of reading on this subject so please refrain from one word answers. I am pretty sure it is unlockable, but if there is a way, I'd love to try it out. Please give me links to sites that claim it can be unlocked if possible.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Re: Unlock extra L2 Cache in X2 3800+ Toledo

Not sure about this, but I know back in the day you could unlock most Durons to be Bartons. However, they were frequently made Durons because part of their L2 cache was deffective. I'd bet that if there are 3800 with disabled L2 cache then there's a good chance part of the cache was deffective, so do any modding at your own risk.

If there is a way to do this, it should come up almost immediately on Google. By the sound of it, you'd probably already know how to do it.

Comment

I have googled the topic and in my first post I should have said I am pretty sure it is NOT unlockable. I just realized I posted that aspect wrong. Anyhow, the only few posts that google pops up state that it is not unlockable and like you state, I kinda figure it has something to do with bad L2 cache as well. I cannot complain, I got it really cheap ($200US) and it works perfectly as is. Thanks Yawg.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate

Comment

I havn't heard about it being done on A64's let alone X2's.

I think that I've explained binning before so there's a very good reason that half the cache is disabled.

Comment

I would not only be amazed if it actually unlocked, but I would be even more amazed if it was any good. I would practically guarantee the extra L2 is no good, or else it would have ended up as a 4400+.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate

Comment

Working...
          X