Amd fx,x2 or opteron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd fx,x2 or opteron

Which is better overall for gaming and multi tasking, any info?

Re: Amd fx,x2 or opteron

Probably the X2. Unless you want to take out a loan for the FX-60 which I hear isn't a big improvement from the X2 4400. Opteron can clock higher due to low voltage requirements and better cooling, but is more widely used for server based computers. For gaming I'd go with an X2, for mainly multi-tasking I'd go with an Opteron. For bankruptcy, err.. I mean benchmarking I'd go with an FX. For the time being...I'd wait for AM2's. They're supposed to be better and cheaper. For humiliation and eternal flaming buy an intel. Although I heard their new stuff isn't going to be half bad. But for the price...F 'em.

Comment

I wouldn't go for an FX-60 ever. The only difference between it an the X2 4800 is the fully-unlocked multiplier, which is occasionally useful for overclocking, but an Opteron would be better. I'd certainly agree you should wait for AM2 if you're considering getting a high-end system right now but don't need it right now.

Comment

I've heard the dual cores lock up some games. I'm still getting one for the new build, though. I'm interested to see how it compares to my FX-55, which I'm very satisfied with. I haven't heard about AM2 at all. Does anybody know ofany good articles on it?

Comment

I don't know if this really applies, but while I havn't had any game lockups, I still havn't been able to fully run neither PCmark04, or 05 cause I get about halfway through and it locks up. Yet I can't figure out why yet..maybe this has something to do with it? I kind of doubt it though..

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby74213
            I've heard the dual cores lock up some games.
            That's just nonsense.
            Originally posted by Bobby74213
            I've heard the dual cores lock up some games. I'm still getting one for the new build, though. I'm interested to see how it compares to my FX-55, which I'm very satisfied with. I haven't heard about AM2 at all. Does anybody know of any good articles on it?
            AM2 is AMD's next socket. it will use 940 pins (but isn't compatible with Socket 940) and the processors will all use DDR2 memory controllers.

Comment

I just bought a asus a8n-sli mobo and thinking of a amd athlon x2 3800+ wich my m8 can get it running @ 4800+ factory speed after liquid cooling it using car radiator coolant with a big thermal fan. Or should i go fx 55-57 maybe ?

Comment

No, go with the X2.

Comment

If you do any multitasking at all ( which is a normal thing for everyone nowadays ), the X2 definately owns all other competition. The only other suggestion I would make over a 3800+ if you are going to overclock would be an Opteron 165, but if you're going to get an Opty, get it soon cause the prices increase on monday.

Either way dual-core is very worth it.

Comment

Stay far away from the seriously overpriced FX CPUs unless you are a hardcore overclocker. The regular CPUs almost always clock as well. Get an X2 3800+ and OC it.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate
                    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Thx lads.

Comment

Working...
                      X