AMD K6-2 processor limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD K6-2 processor limitations

i should be able to push my RAM up from a 64 Mb single, one-sided RAM card to at least 256 Mb, preferrably 512 Mb, across 2 RAM slots. this should be possible, should it not?

Re: AMD K6-2 processor limitations

It shouldn't be a problem to increase the RAM but we are going to need more information on your system than you have provided. What motherboard are you using?
    Last edited by PrairieDawg; 01-25-2006, 07:04 PM.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I have a few old P-3's and some 256MB double sided SDRAM sticks. PC133, if you want them. Don't go anywhere without us now, I don't think we could keep up ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by eat@joes
        I have a few old P-3's and some 256MB double sided SDRAM sticks. PC133, if you want them. Don't go anywhere without us now, I don't think we could keep up ;-)
        You could sell all that on a trading forum or eBay for a reasonable amount of money. Hell, PC133 goes for quite a bit more than DDR of the same size, and people buy and sell it all the time.

Comment

Back to the original question, the memory allowance will be dictated by the motherboard and chipset. You'll need to read the documentation and see what sized modules (and sometimes it must be either single or double sided modules) and see what will work. I've got some old systems still in service at work that won't handle anything over a 128MB module.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Yes definately check the mainboard manual, as Darthtanion has already stated, most K6-2 chipsets will only support 128MB modules though a couple of later ones did support 256MB ones (you will also have to check whether your mainboard has SIMM or DIMM slots) but you will have to get modules with memory chips on them no bigger than 16MB (most newer SDRAM modules come with 32MB memory chips and those older memory controllers can't cope with their size) for either size (eg: 8x16MB 128MB SIMM module or 16x8MB DIMM 128MB module or 16x16MB DIMM 256MB module).

Comment

Working...
            X