Need experts opinions!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need experts opinions!!

I have built my own computers for over 10 years now, and have used IDE drives forever. I am very interested in the SATA II 3.0mbps drives, but are they that much better than standard IDE drives?
    Do they require a "SATA Raid" configuration, or are they pretty much plug and play? Could I combine SATA II and IDE - say the SATAII for programs, and use IDE for storage only?
    I am heavy into video/graphic editing, so im looking for a pretty powerful machine.
    I thought i was set on a X2 processor, but have seen many forums stating the Opteron 165 (overclocked) is the way to go.
    I have never overclocked a PC before, so I need your advice.
    Here are the components I have already purchased....

Case - Antec P180
    MoBo - Asus a8N32-sli deluxe
    Video - ASUS N78000GT
    Memory - 2x(1gb) Corsair Twinx2048-3200c2 DDR400
    Thermaltake Water cooler (Big Water or Rocket... cant decide)

I am looking for (1) my best option for processor, and (2) Convince me I NEED SataII drives.
    One drive will hold the OS (of course) and the rest will be for storage.
    THanks!!
    X

Need your help..... decisions, decisions!!

I have built my own computers for over 10 years now, and have used IDE drives forever. I am very interested in the SATA II 3.0mbps drives, but are they that much better than standard IDE drives?
    Do they require a "SATA Raid" configuration, or are they pretty much plug and play? Could I combine SATA II and IDE - say the SATAII for programs, and use IDE for storage only?
    I am heavy into video/graphic editing, so im looking for a pretty powerful machine.
    I thought i was set on a X2 processor, but have seen many forums stating the Opteron 165 (overclocked) is the way to go.
    I have never overclocked a PC before, so I need your advice.
    Here are the components I have already purchased....

Case - Antec P180
    MoBo - Asus a8N32-sli deluxe
    Video - ASUS N78000GT
    Memory - 2x(1gb) Corsair Twinx2048-3200c2 DDR400
    Thermaltake Water cooler (Big Water or Rocket... cant decide)

I am looking for (1) my best option for processor, and (2) Convince me I NEED SataII drives.
    One drive will hold the OS (of course) and the rest will be for storage.
    THanks!!
    X

Comment

Re: Need your help..... decisions, decisions!!

SATA isn't that much better than IDE. It offers a lot more bandwidth, but only slightly faster speeds. This includes SATA II. That said, there's almost no premium for getting a SATA drive. I got a 200GB Western Digital SATA II (or SATA 3.0 MB/s) drive not that long ago, and it was around $5 more than the cheapest IDE model available. If you're looking at smaller sizes (<=120GB), you'll probably be best off with a regular (1.5MB/S) SATA drive. Unless you want to buy something used off of eBay or Anandtech or something, I don't see any reason to get IDE. If you already have an IDE drive, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from using it in conjunction with a SATA drive.

That case is fine, but only get it if you really need to spend that much. It won't be that much better than a case that costs a third as much.

I don't see any reason to get that motherboard. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but there's nothing so compelling about it that would make it better than options from other companies. Since you are considering overclocking (and I would recommend it), you should probably get a DFI NF4 Ultra-D.

The 7800GT is a great choice for your video card, but ASUS is probably not the manufacturer I'd go with. EVGA, XFX, and BFG are among the better brands.
      That RAM is fine. There may be better choices, but the difference will be in terms of $5 or $10, not actual quality. I won't bother looking.

Don't get those crappy watercooling kits. If you really want watercooling, then you'll need to purchase separate parts or at least a quality kits. A good air cooler can outperform the Thermaltake kits as well as most others. Personally, I'd suggest you get either an XP-90 or an XP-120. Although, the stock Opteron cooler is pretty good...

Where were you planning on getting all of this? I'd recommend you get the hardware all at Newegg, and any cooling equipment at Jab-tech or FrozenCPU.

For the processor, the Opteron 165 is the best choice for overclocking. I'd suggest you grab one quickly from Newegg while the prices are still reasonable.

Comment

Re: Need experts opinions!!

What is your budget?
        It'll be easier to suggest what model to get with that in mind.

If you already have water cooling ( do you seeing as how you said "cant decide" ) then you should go for the opty and overclock it. It's not that difficult to do if you just read up on it. Here is a good spot to start.
        If not go for an Athlon x2.

Also, just use RAID0 to treat it as one drive, you don't have to use an entire harddrive for OS just so you can have another one dedicated to disk space.

I would say 2 WD Raptors with RAID0

but again without a budget it's hard to say.
        Last edited by darkDemyZe; 01-27-2006, 08:57 AM.

Comment

well, the list of things i have already bought should let you know the budget is already out the window.

The video card alone i got a steal on for 715.00

With the difference in price, the opteron 165 and x2 are within the "budget".
          I have read so many things, but like everything, everyone has their opinion.
          I would like to get the opteron, i think because of the overclockability for less $$, but i have never attempted anything like that.
          Thanx for the advice and links, and ill go do some more contemplating.
          X

Comment

I merged the threads, but why did you create two?

Comment

My IE Locked up on me when i hit post, when I came back i could not find if it had gone through.
              Sorry

PS. I went with the WD2500ks (x 2) new retail fron eBay, and an Opteron 165 (off NewEgg - crossing fingers) Said they were retail packaged, in stock, and only 312.00
              Its all coming together slowly, but surely.

Any pointers or links to OCing the Opty would be appreciated.
              Thanx

Comment

Oh yeah, i was looking around for good software to benchmark. So far i've heard of CPU-Z, Clock Gen, Memtest86, and SuperPI. Any others I should be looking into to get my rig at optimum speed?
                Tankx
                X

Comment

To benchmark, you won't use any of those (those using SuperPI are nuts IMO; it's quite useless, even for a synthetic benchmark). A good benchmark is a game with an actual timedemo, but 3DMark06 is okay as far as synthetic benchmarks go.

Now if it's diagnostic and stress testing you want, Prime95, Memtest, CPU-Z, SANDRA or Speedfan or any utility that comes with half the motherboards out there, and 3DMark are what you want. ATI Tool (even for nVidia cards) and actual gaming tests also work well.

Comment

Working...
                  X