Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-core fluctuates! Could this be linked to ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-core fluctuates! Could this be linked to ...

.....a string of system failures?

During the past 12 months I have been hit by 3 horrible system 'meltdowns' each one requiring a new GFX card and CPU to be purchased. This expense has all but consumed my budget for a new rig ;[ so I am very keen to solve the mystery of what has caused these 3 seperate but very similar nightmares.

Using PCWizard I have observed fluctuations in the CPU core voltage - 1.76v (default according to my mobo) flickers to 1.6v - 1.68v - 1.70v occasionally, could this be causing my problems?

TYIA for any attempts to help, much appreciated.

System Details_____________ (items in red have been replaced 3 times!)

psu_______________________EnermaxNoiseTaker 320w
    mobo_____________________FIC HB11
    chipset____________________KT400
    cpu___________________Athlon XP 2000+ (Mobile Athlon 2.4 previously)
    ram______________________512mb Crucial pc2700
    vid card_______________GEForce 6600GT (agp)
    soundcard________________SBlaster Audigy2
    drives____________________80G WDigital, 100G Seagate, Sony DVD Rom
    crt______________________Viewsonic A71f+

Re: V-core fluctuates! Could this be linked to ...

I'd be having a look at replacing both the motherboard and the power supply unit. 320 watt is a bit on the weak side even if it is a good brand.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg
      I'd be having a look at replacing both the motherboard and the power supply unit. 320 watt is a bit on the weak side even if it is a good brand.
      I agree 100%.
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps, and indeed I totally agree re the psu and mobo, in fact the whole box is way past its Sell By Date.

So until I have saved up the necessary $$$ for a full system (about another 2 months to go) I am stuck with this one and quite fearfull of another 'meltdown' and another chunk being taken out of the kitty to patch this old box up again. ;[

Im looking at the PCWizard display now and the vcore is flickering from 1.60v - 1.70v - 1.80v ! Anyone experienced this kind of thing or know if its soemthing to be concerned about ?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligun
          Im looking at the PCWizard display now and the vcore is flickering from 1.60v - 1.70v - 1.80v ! Anyone experienced this kind of thing or know if its soemthing to be concerned about ?
          That's a huge fluctuation. Honestly, I'd stop using the system unless you can fix it. Perhaps undervolting and, if necessary, underclocking the CPU would help prevent anything bad from happening.

Comment

OK thanks very much Yawgm0th, I shall underclock and reduce voltage then monitor with PCWizard again. I'll post back here anything that seems interesting or unusual.

Any ideas where I might find a tutorial/info on further troubleshooting? I don't know very much about electrickery but this seems like a good time to change that.

Thanks again.

Comment

I suggest getting a good PSU now, one that will work with your new system (native 24 pin). If this doesn't resolve your voltage problems, then it would have to point to your MB and it's voltage regulators.

What do your other voltages do? Are they stable or do they fluctuate this bad as well?

Comment

Working...
              X