Upgrading Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Processor

I was thinking about upgrading my processor, but I need some help. Can you guys tell me what kind of tools I need to remove the heatsink/processor?

I have an ECS K7SEM MoBo, with an SiS-730S chipset. What processors am I limited too?

I have an AMD Duron XP socket A at 1.1 Ghz. I was thinking of upgrading to a 2200 or 2500 processor.

Any help will be greatly apreciated!

Re: Upgrading Processor

From a quick google search I came up with this page: http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/4...therboard.html ... not sure how accurate the info is.
    Sorry to say but even if the info is correct it may not help. It looks to me like some of those boards shipped with "onboard CPUs" that may not be removable. The other problem is that the CPU socket type that you need is no longer common and may be a real challenge to find. Computer technology changes rapidly and your motherboard is way behind. ...bottom line: unless you happen to have a compatible CPU laying around then it is probably not worth the trouble to attempt to upgrade with that motherboard.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I'd have a very close look around the socket area just under the HSF to see if you have a CPU release lever and the HSF isn't screwed straight to the mainboard.

Mainboards of that model that I've seen have an embedded (direct connection, soldered to mainboard) CPU so have a good look 1st before ordering/buying another CPU, and though the chipset does support all released socket A CPU's, you'll have to look into what CPU's are supported by BIOS if you do actually have a physical socket arrangement on that mainboard.

[Edit] Woops to late.

Comment

Alright thanks for the info guys, I'll take a look into the computer to see if the processor is soldered on or not.

Comment

Working...
        X