X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPGRADE GA-P31-DS3L with INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9650

Hi All,

I am attempting to upgrade the cpu of my GA-P31-DS3L with F10a BIOS
    To an INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz 12MB Yorkfield purchased from tekheads this week. I have 2gigs of double sided DDR2 (2x1gb).

However, the system hangs (freezes) at Windows Bootscreen when cpu is in. Also same hang when booting to Safe mode.

I have tried as many tweaks as i can think of including many and different BIOS configurations including 'Failsafe' and 'Optimised Defalt' settings.

Would you guys have any idea what the issue may be and can you think of any configurations I can try to fix the problem. It's a shame if it won't work because it looks like a real good processor and i really don't want to have to sell it on via EBAY...

I have upgraded many cpus before and this is the first big hurdle i've encountered.

Tonight I am going to put in my original (working ) cpu and uninstall all hardware - then try boot with q9650.

Thanx in advance for your advice. Gerard
    Last edited by Gerard Bedell; 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM. Reason: No Replies :(

Re: UPGRADE GA-P31-DS3L with INTEL Core 2 Quad Q9650

Replying to myself... How sad is that?

I have tried the defalt and auto M.I.T. And at first glance the BIOS does seem to automatically apply the correct settings. Have also wiped the CMOS - sometimes I have no other option but TO wipe it.

I do have a suspicion about the OS though bcause I have had problems in the past replacing hardware on other systems after service packs are installed. Windows seems to get a bit posessive and won't let go even after they are physically gone.

I am trying a LINUX boot from CD next and if that works will try a clean xp install onto another partition.

If neither of the above work it's back to the BIOS : I will mail the Gigabyte and INTEL to get recomended settings once I have ruled out OS problems. And hope i get a reply...?!

KEEPING THE POST UP TO DATE TILL I FIND THE ANSWER.

Regards Big G.

Comment

Update and Results sofar

Since last post I have tried:

Booting from LINUX
      RESULT - SAME SYS FREEZE ON OS BOOT

(therefore have decided not to try new xp install or repairs - prob must be somewhere other than os)

Uninstalling all other hardware
      RESULT - SAME SYS FREEZE ON OS BOOT

Using just 1 stick of ram
      RESULT - SAME

Talking to the computer nicely and surprising it with flowers and chocolate
      RESULT - SAME AS BEFORE

Have run many system checks including TUB CD and Eurosoft PC Check.
      RESULT - ALL HARDWATE CHECKS PASS EXCEPT__
      **cpu cache coherency**

FULL RESULT:

PC-CHECK EUROSOFT
      MP SYMMETRY CHECK
      (ALL MP SYM CHECKS PASS XCPT...

CACHE COHERENCY
      PROCESSOR 1-4

(1) BOOT CPU INTEL CORE - N/A OR PASS
      (2) APP CPU INTEL CORE - (SYSYEM FREEZE) THEN MANUAL REBOOT REQUIRED
      (3) APP CPU INTEL CORE - (SYSYEM FREEZE) THEN MANUAL REBOOT REQUIRED
      (4) APP CPU INTEL CORE - PASS

Well Guys N Girls - On the back of these results can I assume there is a conflict between either graphics mem, or RAM.
      Or is it somthing else entirely?

To be quite honest i am now wandering out of my comfort zone with things such as cache coherency.

My RAM specs are: 2off
      Samsung
      DDR2 1024mb PC2-4300(266Mhz)

Processor specs are:
      INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9650
      3GHz 12MB-L2Cache FSB 1333MHz

OLD processor specs are:
      INTEL Pentium D925
      3ghz 2mb-L2Cache FSB 800mhz

Hows about them apples!?

As always a push in the right direction is always appreciated... :~)

Big G

Comment

Sorry to have missed your post so long!! I have been gone for a few weeks, and likely none of the guys who help out in the Gigabyte section noticed your post here.

I would advise a clean install of your OS once you get going though, it may not be a must but it is advised especially coming from netburst to core based CPU's.

Did you try BIOS F9? Could just be the Beta BIOS you are using? I would try F9 and load optimized and save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS and then see if all is well. If it is working then I would go ahead with a clean install, be sure you have your SATA Settings setup properly and your boot disk order with your OS Drive at the top of the list

Comment

Comment

That card should be fine. What ram is it exactly you have now anyway, have a link or model #?

Have you tried getting the system going with only one stick of the ram you have now? If not I would try that and then if you get it going I can help you get your settings setup so you can use all 4 sticks

But yes, new ram either way would be a good choice as 533Mhz ram is pretty slow for your CPU

Comment

My ram is 2off

Manufacturer : Samsung
              Part Number : M3 78T2953CZ3-CD5
              Serial Number : 7117DDE3
              Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-4300 (266 MHz) - [DDR2-533]
              Format : Regular UDIMM (133.35 x 3)
              Size : 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)

Yes I did indeed try one stick with exactly the same results in each scenario.

I'm gonna order that 4 sticks of that crucial ram ordered later today and would be very happy with any setup assistance you could offer. I am a bit wary of the ram issue as I'm not 100% with what I'm doing going by the ram warnings on Gigabytes webpage for this mobo.

Many thanx Big G. :)

Comment

Hmm, well if you do not have any luck with 1 stick then there is likely some incompatibility issues I would imagine. It happens for sure so don't feel singled out, many boards and ram do not play well together so it just may be what is going on this time around.

Did you look at the QVL? It has a warning at the top. May not apply to your use of one stick, but it may when you try 2 or more because those are double sided correct?

This system requires single-sided/single-ranked memory modules when all four sockets are populated. 1GB double-sided(dual-ranked) memory modules may be installed one per channel. For Dual Channel mode, use single-sided modules only.

Those you you mentioned look to be single sided and I doubt Crucial would advise you incorrectly but you may want to call them and ask to be sure that they are single sided. Here is their number 1-800-336-8915, or you may chat with them right on that page.
                CT12864AA800 - 1GB, 240-pin DIMM , DDR2 PC2-6400 from Crucial.com

Comment

SOLVED - UPGRADE Core 2 Quad Q9650

OK It's Sorted. Thanks for all the help.

In the end it all came down to incompatible ram.

I replaced the 2gigs of 266mhz with 4 gigs of 400mhz.

The whole system runs great now and cuts through big files on CS4 apps like butter...

Thanks go out to everyone who helped with suggestions with my problem solving hitlist.

This is BIG G, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off.

Comment

Nice to see you got it all squared away!! So you got Crucial and it was fine then right?

Post back anytime if you need help with things, and enjoy your system!

Comment

Working...
                    X