having trouble creating partitions my bro's 120gig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having trouble creating partitions my bro's 120gig

well, i just got all my brothers hardware in today and i got it all set up and now im trying to figure out how to make partitions onto the 120 gig hd.

the way i've done it before is to just boot up with a 98se startup disk (has FDISK), and just use that to partition my hard drives. i use a 100gig western digital and this process worked fine.

the one i bought for my brother is a 120gig western digital and it hasnt ran FDISK yet. it gets the the 'large disk suport y/n' then after that it says error reading disk or whatever.

is there some other way to partition it or am i just plain doing it the wrong way.

(tried to use google but that didnt help much, searched the forums but wasnt sure how to search for it).

Doh!, nm. jumpers are diff on this one.

Comment

gotta love the simple things :)

Comment

is there some other way to partition it or am i just plain doing it the wrong way.
        I usually use Disk Mangement to make partitions. (right click on My Computer and click Manage, than Disk Mangement )
        no need to boot to dos :D
        but good ol' fdisk works fine.:thumb:

Comment

kinda hard to use disk management when you don't have windows installed ;)

personally I use FDISK off a moddified 98 se bootdisk whenever possible :thumb:

I remember correctly, there is even a newer version of fdisk for handling hard drives greater than 130 GB

Comment

well thats true, but I usually just connect the hdd to my system, make patritions, copy i386 and run setup form ther ;)
            its all up to you how you choose to do it. There is no wrong way to do it, its just what youre used to.
            I do it that way, because its a lot easier than pluging in a CD drive into a system that will run w.o one :)

Comment

Working...
            X