Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting new HDs to old MBoard

Hi,

I tried to connect a new 80gb Hd to my old PII motherboard, but it didn't recognize it.

I've tried different cables but nothing works. New cables have one of the pins blocked!!!

Do they not work on old mboards or whats going on?

HELP

mostly no, most P II's wont be able to use ata 100/133 HD's, also, y put a 80gb HD on a P2?

Comment

my PII is so quiet so i thought leaving it to inet 24/7 and let it run DC++

But no use to run it with 6GB old HD.

Could i buy some kind of IDE card or something for it?

Comment

Your older mainboard just isn't able to comprehend drives as large as you're trying to use. Back in those days, large hard drives were just unheard of. You should be able to get a PCI based IDE card that will take care of your problems, but I would do a little research to make sure. Promise makes a good line of this type card that should fit the bill. Basically it has its own onboard BIOS that handles the large drives so your system BIOS doesn't have to get confused.

On another note, setup can sometimes be interesting with older boards and this type of setup. You might consider having a smaller drive natively hooked up to the motherboard as your bootable device and have the drive(s) on the PCI card as secondary (non-bootable) drives. This can save you a huge amount of time with no troubleshooting required. :D
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X