networked drive's fail reformat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• networked drive's fail reformat

ok I wanna use my drive on my present computer on my incoming AMD64.. so to keep this old computer working. I need to get any 1 of my 5 hard drives working that where previously on networks.. The problem is I fdisked and formated them... and now they will not hold any OS other then doss.. . window s will crash every time i try to load it..I bought and tried partition magic. also over the internet I got a zero'ing program, from two differant hd manufactures... ? any ideas.. I've also tried system commander and RH9 and warp4 OS/2 ; A drive I just upgrade to 98workes, still works. I just didn't fdisk or reformat..
    drives down
    8g IBM ,had corel linux
    wd2.1, from work[given to me]networked
    seagate 34520n [a xerox hd from net]
    AS u can see these all were networked ,
    thanks in advance..
    k6-2 .and . . . AMD 64bit|3.2,1G[2326],9800xt [both died] miss my 500 K's
    recycled from the trash [and in use]
    2 = 945G chipset boards 2G Celeron and dual Pentium
    3 = AM-37 FIK motherboards 2-2.6 G
    in storage 810/815 chipset P3's 800MHZ[4setup and +? not]

Did that make sense to anyone?

Comment

not really..

did you actually install DOS on it? or are you referring to booting off a Win98 Boot Disk or something, and accessing a 'command prompt'?
      if you installed, was it from floppy or CD? (altho I'm not familiar with any version of DOS published on CD) .. also, which version? MS-DOS, Dr. DOS, etc?

the only time I've had a case where *no* OS would install, it was a faulty CD-ROM drive (in my case, it was an Acer 2x2x6x cd-rw piece of utter crap)

however, it could also be another hardware problem that affects the OS during install, such as faulty RAM, CPU or motherboard...

best things I can suggest, with the information given :)
      386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
      -----

/Z

Comment

If it is failing to accept ANY Windows based install, then I would consider getting a new boot disk to work with. The only thing that I can think of offhand is that the version of the FAT you're formatting with is so dated that Windows is hacking up a hairball.

Failing that, we'll need a bit more information about what the make and model and size of the HDD in question is. It may be too old to be useful.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

at work now but i can tell u its the the hard drive... somethin like EZ-bios or what ever ... the win98 is now installed on the komp im using now, linux working on dual 166 dec.... it's some thing to do with the net worked hard drives.. if you fdisk and format you r currupting something some where..I've got four drives now that have this problem.... but the fith one i upgraded to 98, no problem, i just did not fdisk or format it, so it's slow starting up looking for all the previous networked stuff...these are older drives 2.5 gig [wd ,seagate] thru to a ibm deskstar 8 gig...sometimes the partition magic will see something undislosed but taking up 3meg... i installed dos on these drives to see if the'd work ,and they do... just can't get them to upload to win98 98se or rh9..?.. thanks for any ideas. i'm stumped ,in ten years i've never been stumped.. I've changed disk between os/2 warp win9x , and linux and back and never had or seen this..only with networked drives

Comment

Originally posted by G13man
            at work now but i can tell u its the the hard drive... somethin like EZ-bios or what ever ...
            Then this thread maybe of help to ya.

Comment

THANKS FOR LINK, ALOT LIKE MY PROBLEM[ I EVN TRIED LOADING AND UNINSTALLING EZ BIOS MYSELF[opps sorry caps on] I've also tried the zero ing... I'll try the data life guard when i get home [yea already have maxblast3, but not datalife guard ], BUT my net worked linux drive with/out ezbois is acting the same.. every bit helps thanks.....ps amd64 now in delivery yee haaa soon

Comment

Working...
              X