Software on DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software on DVD

I'm just curious to see how many titles are now shipping on DVD. I just bought Office XP through my college, and it came on FOUR CD's !!! 2 CD's were Office, and extras, another CD entirely for Office XP training, AND also came bundled with Frontpate 2002 on its own CD. So that's 4 CD's, each with fancy labeling and they all could have been on one DVD, making it easier for me and cheaper for MS.

And I can understand having an option to recieve it in CD, but come on, DVD is everywhere you need Office XP.

last time i checked, RedHat and Mandrake were shipping on DVD's
    don't know about other distros :shrug:

we are including linux here, right? :?:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Sure,

And I did not know that, but good for them.

Comment

For a lot of the larger programs, they can be ordered from the distribution point as DVD instead of CD.

Comment

Haven't there been some Encyclopedia companies who have had their stuff on DVD? What were these titles called?

Comment

CD is still the standard medium for shipping software. Not everyone has a DVD-ROM. There is still a large number of computers that don't In fact, the majority of computers I come across to repair don't have one. Only computers built or upgraded in the last couple years are likely to have one. So to make sure that everyone can use the software, it is still shipped on CD. Although there is an ever-increasing amount of software that is offered on a DVD, it is offered as an option. I'm willing to bet that it wont become common or the standard for a couple more years. But in the meantime we should hopefully see more and more software offered on both CD and DVD.

Comment

I think you're right. I just have never seen (in person) any titles available on DVD. But then again, my local chain stores aren't exactly early adopters.

Comment

Working...
              X