New comp: crappy and cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New comp: crappy and cheap

A freind of mine recently fried his mobo and I figured I would help him buy/build a new computer. Before he was using an old, crappy computer with a Pentium and probably less than 64 MB RAM, old crappy video card, mobo, case etc. So I figure for pretty cheap I can get something around P2-P3 or low-end Athlon with a decent amount of a decent kind of RAM and a decent mobo, case, etc. Enough to run slightly old games (Deus Ex, Starcraft, Red Alert 2, etc.) and Windows 98 SE pretty smoothly. What I need help with is finding either a specific pre-built\partially-built computer or all of the necessary parts to build w\one myself. I don't need removable media drives or hard disks at all, new video card preferable but unnecessary, he doesn't even need a new sound card. He already has all that stuff. I'm looking to keep the cost between $50 and $100. So, what should I buy and where should I buy it?

well im the dominater in crappyness and his system seems pretty crap too, and the money your will to spend i dont think is enough, correct me if im wrong but you want a mobo, processor,ram, and a case for about 50 to 100 bucks..thats crappy and you wont get much with that..maybe for about 150 to 200

Comment

a 2600+ w/ a gigabyte 400 fsb mobo.....150 bucks...........cranked it up past a 3200+ to 2200 mhz or 2.2 gigahertz, and i figure with some 3200 ram, i'll go a couple of hundred mhz above that.......

Comment

heres a system i built for my friends little bro. this computer can play CS and warcaft 3 with ease

biostar nforce 2 mobo- $58
        athlon xp 2000-$88
        Buffalo 256pc2100 ddr ram- $39
        MSI mx400 64mb ddr agp video card=$41
        maxtor 40gb ATA 133 Hd- $48
        FOxhinn case with 350w psu- $25

total with shipping at new egg is around 300, very cheap system tat will be good for a few years. (2 yrs i guess)

kind funny, u can get 2 of those computers for a price of 1 fx5900 video card. which one would u chose?

Comment

Case: Antec SLK2600AMB w/ 300watt PS ($48)
          Motherboard: Asus A7N8X-X Nforce 2 ($74.99)
          Processor: Athlon XP 1800+ ($52)
          Video Card: Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9200 128mb ($68.99)
          Memory: Buffalo 512mb PC3700 ($94)
          Hard Drive: Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM ($59)

$348.98

Maybe out of your price range...but it's a good system and it will last you for quite a while.

(All prices from NewEgg)

Comment

These are good suggestions for what I might buy/build later for me, but I'm talking crappy for this computer. I don't need monitor, HDD, CD, Floppy. Hell even cords probably aren't necessary. You can buy systems with 1.7 GHz Celeron, more RAM than I need, HDD, Floppy, etc. for about $150 at www.pricewatch.com, and that's way more than I need. I'm talking Pentium 2 or crappy AMD well under 1 GHz with 128 MB RAM or less (not particulalry good RAM either), mobo, case, crappy cooling (hell my friend probably has a regular fan lying around somewhere that'll be good enough. He hasn't played any game newer than Red Alert 2 and he claims that runs pretty smoothly on his 486 (slow as hell I imagine). I imagine I can get everything I need for no more than $100, even the mobo. I just don't have enough experience with different kinds of RAM and mobos to make the decision as to what I should buy myself. I don't need new parts, and I don't need something that can hadle online games any better than Starcraft. My friend has like $40 and I'm going to loan him probably all of money (something like $60) just to buy a crappy comp to replace his old one. In any case, I do like some of the systems you guys have shown me :D and I'll strongly consider getting something like that for myself once I get some damn money.:( (unless I get enough to get me an Athlon 64 comp:D :D )

Comment

how old is ur friend? if he is old enough to get a job, start saving up 400 buz. after tat u can get a decient computer tat will last u long. A crappy system is just wasting another 100 buz since ur friend will start to whine about how the system suckz in less than na year.

i am 14, and when i wanted to build my 600 dollar computer, i worked EVERYDAY in summer for refreeing basketball/soccer games, total i got 800 canadian in 3 in a half months. the computer works mighty well in new games, like matrix revolution and UT2003.

just tell ur friend to save up 300 dollars and then let u build the system.

dont need to take my advice,but tatz what i would do if tat was my friend.

peace.

Comment

Well, before the need for a crappy system was do partially to urgency. As he said, "I'm gonna so bored without a computer". But it seems he didn't really have his story right and, after some screwing around, I found his mobo still works (with some minor damage) and he just had some power problems that are now okay. So I think I'm just going to tell him to save his money when he finally gets a job and I'll build his comp for him.

Comment

If you can find one, one of these would be way better than expected. I used these for ultra budget pc's until they became unavailable locally.link for ecs mobo/cpu/ram all in one
                  The last one I used said xp1800 on bootup. Came with 128mb pc100 ram. Cost $140cdn(about $100us). Ecs soldered a tweaked duron1200 to it and called it xp1800. Never checked the fsb on that one but the xp1200(duron 850@892)-xp1300(duron900@946) ones have 210fsb. The pc100 works just fine at that speed (105/210). And still has a free ramslot. The best feature is the agp 4x slot and onboard gfx, sound, and lan as well.
                  athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                  tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                  bfg 6800gt
                  seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                  samsung dvdrw
                  2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                  logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                  2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                  creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                  mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                  DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Recently bought a PC Chips mb with embedded XP2000+, onboard: vid, sound, lan, and modem riser for $82us plus tax. 256mb PC2700 for $20us after rebate. Made an excellent home machine for a woman who emails, does word processing (Open Office), and plays Slingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                      These are good suggestions for what I might buy/build later for me, but I'm talking crappy for this computer. I'm talking Pentium 2 or crappy AMD well under 1 GHz with 128 MB RAM or less (not particulalry good RAM either), mobo, case, crappy cooling (hell my friend probably has a regular fan lying around somewhere that'll be good enough.
                      Don't ya have stores over there that deal with 2nd hand office PC's? There are plenty of them here in this country. :?:

Comment

You want a cheapo computer??/ Well, TRY THIS SITE! http://www.surpluscomputers.com/ they have a refurbished pentium 2 for $59.99! Here is the link http://www.softwareandstuff.com/COM10462.html
                        Here are my specs:
                        System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Comment

Working...
                        X