Athlon64 or P4 800FSB based system? Also need MB shopping he

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.4c eh?
    well tell ya what, here is what i am thinking of and you can just have at'er:
    2.8c
    either ASUS P4C800 or P4P800-deluxe(edit: i heard that companies like ASUS succesfully hacked the i865 chipset to perform as good as the i875?)
    Kingston 400mhz 2x512mb RAM
    Seagate/WD 120 GB 7200 8mb cache HD

what you think?
    PS: Sorry for the hijack, whoever started this thread
    :(

Comment

OK are ya just plannin' to run at stock speeds or do ya plan on some overclockin'? :?:

Comment

I'm not gonna go nuts with the overclockin. Mild at best, I would say.

Comment

The go for the slower stock processor as ya'll get a higher FSB out of it and both CPU's overclock to about the same speed basically (3.2-3.5GHz in most cases).

Comment

Hmm... i'm quite leery about overclocking, as I do not want to limit the processors lifetime(even though Prescott will definitely take its place later on in the year).
            Speaking of Prescott, have they determined whether or not the 875p/865pe chipsets will support it yet?

Comment

The majority of the i865/875 motherboards out now do not support the Prescott processors. Here is one that does though:

Abit AI7

It retails for $125 at NewEgg.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                Then consider the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, P4 2.4C and 2x fast PC3500 or better memory as a startin' base.
                What about the ASUS P4 P4P800S 865P vs. the ASUS P4 P4P800 Deluxe? Those 2 boards are only $83 and $117(US) well within my price range:cool: and have close to the same Intel chipset, except one is a P and the other has a PE behind it :confused: . Is there a difference?

Comment

Have ya been to ASUS and checked the spec sheets? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
                    What about the ASUS P4 P4P800S 865P vs. the ASUS P4 P4P800 Deluxe? Those 2 boards are only and 7(US) well within my price range:cool: and have close to the same Intel chipset, except one is a P and the other has a PE behind it :confused: . Is there a difference?
                    Yes there is a difference. What it is I'm not sure, but reading last months Maximum PC they recognized that the 865PE was the chipset you want, not the 865P.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike2010
                      The majority of the i865/875 motherboards out now do not support the Prescott processors. Here is one that does though:

Abit AI7

It retails for 5 at NewEgg.

Hmm, I might consider that one. Thanks:) . Is NewEgg reliable?

Abit or Asus??? Tough choice:?: :?: :?: Anyone here ever have problems with either brand?

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
                        Hmm, I might consider that one. Thanks:) . Is NewEgg reliable?

Abit or Asus??? Tough choice:?: :?: :?: Anyone here ever have problems with either brand?
                        newegg.com is a very good place to shop. quite a few us members get parts from there.

as for there brand. there is always someone that has had probelms with something (even though, most of the time it's user error ). abit and asus are both fine mobo makers, although i prefer asus myself. just find one that has the features you want at a price you can afford.

Comment

just read a review on 25 mobo's at Tomshardware.com, and it rated the MSI neo2 865PE as the fastest mobo... and for around $130 CDN dollars, thats a steal!:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by bodmanza
                            just read a review on 25 mobo's at Tomshardware.com, and it rated the MSI neo2 865PE as the fastest mobo... and for around 0 CDN dollars, thats a steal!:eek:
                            At pricewatch it's only $88 (US). Why so cheap I wonder? I've really grown to hate red colored boards but if its the fastest I'm going to consider it. Thanks for the link.:)

Comment

Working...
                            X