I need to upgrade my vid card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to upgrade my vid card?

It seems my video card is out of date (courtesy of the forums and have about 250 to spend on an upgrade any suggestions? (I'm and online gamer BF1942)

O/S: Win XP home edition

card: all-in-wonder Radeon 7500

processor: x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 1 authenticAMD ~1998mhz

BIOS version: Phoenix Technologies. LTD 3.0.,

SMBIOS version: 2.2

Physical memory: 512 mb

virtual memory: 1.30 GB

At the moment I have an all-in-wonder radeon 7500
    runs the game good barely any lag, settings are all on the lowest :P, sucks to see any great graphics without having to lag.

I tried deleting the bottom one and can't dont know how it got posted twice. Sorry bout that Mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephir
      I tried deleting the bottom one and can't dont know how it got posted twice. Sorry bout that Mods.
      not a problem, it happens. For future reference, you have an option at the top of your posts to delete them; new threads can be deleted by the creator until someone posts in them. :)

For $250 (I'm assuming it's USD since you didn't specify) you could get a 9800 pro if you find a good deal on one. However, if you want to save some of that money, a Ti4200 (128MB) still plays BF1942 very well without AF/AA

Comment

I'd suggest something higher than a Ti4200. BF 1942 was a little laggy at times (low setting) when I had my Athlon 2100+ system with 512 ram and that card. Maybe if you overclocked you could get away with it but if you want very smooth and stable play I'd get a better card. If your going to spend money on an upgrade you should make it something thats going to last you awhile.;) . If you want Nvidia and want something that will do a good job at the lowest price go with a GeForce 5700 Ultra.

Recently I was surprised how well a GeForce 5600 did with graphic intense video games in a P4 2.6C GhZ system but the bad side of it was the low 3Dmark scores it got so I'd still go with the 5700 Ultra in your system just to make sure your covered.

If you stay with ATI and keep price in mind you can pick up a R 9800 n\p reasonably at pricewatch. That card with the latest drivers installed will be more than sufficient.

Comment

I've heard that game can run somewhat laggy even on high end machines due to bad code. But that may been solved with patches I dunno cuz I don't really play it. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
            I'd suggest something higher than a Ti4200. BF 1942 was a little laggy at times (low setting) when I had my Athlon 2100+ system with 512 ram and that card.
            sounds like you needed to do some tweaking then. Until a month ago I've been playing BF42 with a 2100+, 512 PC2100 and a Ti4200 with 128 MB with everything on High and the only lag i ever got was from the severs. :p
            All stock speeds.

Comment

Yes 250 $ US Currency and BF1942 is all I play. I did a full recovery on this comp and just BF1942 is installed so I can get the most performance but still have settings set at the lowest for no lag which I barely get cept for server lag. Just want to get what I can and run the game best I can with tweaking the XP settings and a good vid card :D

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                sounds like you needed to do some tweaking then. Until a month ago I've been playing BF42 with a 2100+, 512 PC2100 and a Ti4200 with 128 MB with everything on High and the only lag i ever got was from the severs. :p
                All stock speeds.

Maybe The__tweaker is right about a patch fix but the game ran extremly smooth on all my other machines the last time I played, I use to have a few jerks and lockups using my ATI cards but the new drivers from ATI seemed to solved that problem completely. I haven't had the GeForce Ti4200 card for awhile now(sold it with one of my systems I replaced last year) so it's been a few Bf 1942 updates ago I'm sure.

Comment

the more recent patches have helped, but I've been playing with the same hardware since the game demo was first released and I have never had a peformance problem to this day; however this point is fairly irrelevant, so let's move on.

Comment

Yep ya should be able to find an R9800P for that price but if ya still want to stick with an All-In-Wonder then there is are R9600/Pro versions in your range as well.

Comment

Awesome, thanks alot!! found the XP tweak in the forums as well doing that just now:p

Comment

Run through the BF tweaking guide as well. Its the only reason my BF is running without any lag.

Did Santa leave you a copy of Battlefield 1942 under the Christmas tree this year? If he was kind enough to do so, rip the plastic covers off and get down to business with Koroush "PersianImmortal" Ghazi's in-depth tweaking game to this WWII combat simulation!

Comment

Originally posted by Dyck15
                          Run through the BF tweaking guide as well. Its the only reason my BF is running without any lag.

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=420
                          Just got done with the XP tweak guide and the bf42 guide thanks:D

Comment

Working...
                          X