Shopping for a laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for a laptop

I will buy a laptop at the end of the summer, i want to get a low cost laptop but NO CELERON, i was looking at something like an HP or a compaq with an 2400+ or a 2500+. But i want to compare, can anybody give me advice and a site to compare performance of mobile processors and laptops??
    I dont really need a long battery life but i need wireless. I was also thinking about the mobile athlon 64 but when is it coming out??

The 64 are already out. Emachine..believe it or not have a pretty good laptop that carries a 64. Also ibuypower has P4-m. Sorry if i am not that much help, but look into the emachine. Whats your budget btw?
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Budget max 2000$ CAD, but would like it to be really good at that price!!

Comment

Find the latest drivers, downloads, and help for all your Gateway, Packard Bell, and eMachines products.

Uses the Athlon 64, not a bad laptop :)

Comment

Yea that is what i was talking about.

iBUYPOWER is your one-stop shop for gaming PCs, laptops, gear, and accessories.

Comment

PC2700 with an Athlon 64? Radeon 9600 Pro 64 MB with an Athlon 64? :thumbs do
            Unfortunately, it's may be one of the best you'll find.
            What is it that you do? Gaming? Video edting/encoding? Or are you just a "regular user?"
            If it's the latter, you can go HP, Dell, or Gateway (all of which suck, IMO). For gaming, the AlienWare ones seem nice, but they probably go a bit above your budget. You can try www.newegg.com, too. It really depends on what you're going to do with this.

Comment

Those are budget laptops ....the sagers laptop are nice...

Comment

If i get a laptop powerfull enuph (wont be hard to find) i will sell my current computer... You say radeon 9600 pro is not powerfull?? Im am still using my TNT2 and my little 1800+ with a 20GIG HDD!!! And looking at the emachines makes me drool!!! :shock: Well better start saving money!!

Comment

Originally posted by syx
                  If i get a laptop powerfull enuph (wont be hard to find) i will sell my current computer... You say radeon 9600 pro is not powerfull?? Im am still using my TNT2 and my little 1800+ with a 20GIG HDD!!! And looking at the emachines makes me drool!!! :shock: Well better start saving money!!
                  ...why invest in a laptop..when you can spend the money of the emachine to buy a powerful pc? seriously..with 1300..you can have a really nice computer with a 9800...if you want it..i will give you the prices..and list to build a mid range pc..

Comment

Yeah, I found hardware for a system in the event that I get some money for around a $1000 U.S. Athlon 64 3200; Radeon 9800XT; Mobo with SATA, RAID, Sound LAN (forgot the chipset); HSF, Srctic Silver, 10000RPM 8MB Cache 80GB SATA Drive; 1 GB dual channel PC3500 CAS 2 RAM. All for under $1000 U.S. and way under your budget. But if you really need the mobility of a laptop (although a light case can be almost as mobile), I guess it doesn't matter.

Comment

Comment

You could probably do better than that with $1100 CAD.
                        Originally posted by syx
                        BTW i could get this system and get an used laptop like a PII 366 for 350$ CAD, but will i be able to get wireless internet on something this old?
                        Argh, a P2. I wouldn't go that cheap. At least a higher Celeron, a P3, or a low-end Athlon XP. Anyway, you can get wireless if it has a USB port. It works just as well as any other way of doing it. You should be able to tell whether you can get wireless on a laptop by simply looking at it or its specs.

Comment

A PIII laptop cost about 700 to 900$ CAD... that is why im looking for a new one... Anyway with a PII and Linux i should be able to edit all needed documents and got on internet wireless right??

Comment

Working...
                          X