No announcement yet.

Almost There!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The casse temp was about 30 deg and then when I opened the side panel and put the desk fan on to cool the bugger down somemore it dropped to 29 deg but the cpu stayed at 67 deg.

Comment

Originally posted by radstar
      The casse temp was about 30 deg and then when I opened the side panel and put the desk fan on to cool the bugger down somemore it dropped to 29 deg but the cpu stayed at 67 deg.
      What about your room temperatures? Although since taking the side off didn't make much of a difference it sounds like your cooling problem is in fact the CPU cooler itself.

Comment

Yeah the cpu has run at the 60deg since the first day I turned it on and overclocking pushed it upto 67. I have bought some Arctic silver and will see how that goes.
        What about the game and how the screen goes all black with streaks of light going across the screen and some of the game features are fuzzy.

Comment

I have had the issue with the game from day one so I tried overclocking the vga card it works for a little while then the same weird effects start.
          so I tried looking for where to set the agp bandwidth(?) for dedicating more ram from the mobo to the vid card and cant find it in the bios.
          I guess I could try setting the cpu to go slow mode and see what that does otherwise I am stuck!!!

Comment

I would be getting that new psu right about now. As for a proper hsf, that depends on what you want to spend and/or how loud you want it and how good you want to cool.

Thermaltake silent boost(basically a volcano12 with a slower fan) is very quiet and cools well. Thermaltake volcano7+(leave it on high) cools better and is louder(why bother spending $ on a fancy new hsf to run it at some dumb slow speed). Thermaltake dragonorb3 7000rpm cools the best out of these 3 and is extremely loud(this is what I use).

These are the 3 choices I offer my customers for performance hsf's.

note... 4900rpm dragonorb3's and lesser dranonorbs like 1 and 2 are a waste of time and don't cool very well. volcano 7 and volcano7+ are not the same, the non plus is no good.

thermaltake

I would go with arctic silver ceramique instead, it performs as well as as3/5, is half the price, easier to apply, cleans up much easier and does not conduct electricity. This stuff will generally shave about 2c off the temps vs junk paste, vs stock tim pad the difference will be alot more.

About the 2500 doing 3200 on a stock hsf with as, that depends on which stock hsf comes with it, there are many different ones and their performance varies greatly. I observed a stock xp2100 hsf being replaced last week with a tt silent boost with 21c cpu temp difference at idle. It went from 62c to 41c using the junk paste that came with it(not my doing). That was worst case scenerio. My estimate is a volcano7+ would have done 36-37c and a dragonorb3 7000 would have done 33-34c(based on other testing with these 3 hsf's vs stock).

edit... just noticed you already have as. as instructions in case no one else posted it.
            athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
            tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
            asus a7n8xe-dlx
            thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
            bfg 6800gt
            seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
            samsung dvdrw
            2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
            logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
            2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
            creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
            mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
            DFI infinity nf4 ultra
            thermaltake tsunami dream -black
            seagate sataII 500gb
            evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
            samsung sata dvd-rw
            2x1024 ocz black
            logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
            ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

THANK YOU Maximus. I have been tearing my hair out over this issue!!!!
              Now I will just bite the bullit and pull the dam cpu mob and hsf out of the dam box and replace it with the thermaltake dragon.
              One question I have though is what you guys do about all this weight that the copper HSF's put on the old mob? I mean I hear some of these HSF's weigh in at a hefty 700grms. this is alot of weight to have hanging of your cpu!!!!

Comment

Quite frankly I wouldn't touch a Dragon Orb if you paid me (unless you're going to use it on a PIII or lower, and then I'd think twice about it) and as for the Volcano7+ you'd want to be doing faster than 2.3GHz to really need high speed (all my Athlon's work very well on medium speed, low speed for P4's). The Volcano 12 works better than the 7+ but it is heavier and the Silent Boost not quite as well as the 7+.

Comment

Yep, they are real heavy. Dragonorb3 7000rpm p/n 1135 specifically is what I am talking about. The other dragonorbs are no good and gave the dragonorb3 1135 a bad name as you can see. Thermaltake's new site does not give the right specs. I assure you they are top notch hfs's and have personally used and tested these with xp2500's @ 2.2ghz/xp3200(and higher) with the best results of the hsf's listed. As I said they are very loud. The volcano12 may very well outperform it by a degree c or 2, but those are not available here so I have not tested them.

Another thing, without proper case airflow, any hsf will just sit there and do nothing.

thermaltake old site
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  bfg 6800gt
                  samsung dvdrw
                  mushkin 550w

DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

have you seen these hsf's before? and do you think I should bother with these or just go full copper hsf?

Comment

Stick with thermaltake.
                      asus a7n8xe-dlx
                      bfg 6800gt
                      samsung dvdrw
                      mushkin 550w

DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                      seagate sataII 500gb
                      samsung sata dvd-rw
                      2x1024 ocz black
                      ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

guys I just replaced the stock hsf goo with AS5 and my temos dropped by over 10 degC.
                        I just cleaned off the goo and applied a little sanding to the stock hsf then some as5 and temps are now in the low 40's.
                        Amazing eh?

Comment

Working...
                        X