I need a new heatsink/fan for my cpu.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new heatsink/fan for my cpu.

So, I need sufficent cooling. The stock isn't cutting it anymore and it's getting to 50 degrees celsius. Which I don't figure is good. Anything you guys can recommend for an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ not overclocked?

50C isnt too bad.
    whats the case airflow like.
    are you planning on overclocking?
    good coolers are basicly anything big and copper. look at the V7+, V12 and Silent boost from thermaltake

Comment

What sort of temp difference do you get when you run with the side off plus when was the last time you cleaned the dust out of the HSF and case?

Comment

I've never run with the case side open. The case is pretty clean, maybe a little dust here and there. As far as airflow there is one fan pulling air in and two taking it out, I believe. I remember you guys, well not you specifically, but guys here in the forum that the case I got wasn't the best when it came it airflow. I can't get a picture of the case because newegg doesn't have it anymore. But it's a 50 buck enermax case.

Comment

try running with the side off.
          also would it be possible to fit another intake fan?

Comment

Explain to me why I would run with the side off? I think there's space for two more fans, one intake, one out-take.

Comment

running with the side off will allow you to see whether its the airflow of the heatsink/fan which is causing the problem

Comment

umm... I dont' think I'm going to do that. I don't mind spending a couple bucks on a new heatsink/fan. It's probably ****ty airflow. I'll open up the case, see if I can move wires and clean dust. test it after that. Also it only seems to be happening when I play city of heroes and don't have my air conditioner on.

Comment

Explain to me why I would run with the side off? I think there's space for two more fans, one intake, one out-take.

Comment

running with the side off allows maximum airflow, whether or not your case sucks for it. As well, intake fans are more important than exhaust fans cause it is more important to have cool air blowing in on the object (cause the other air will be displaced and have to move somewhere anyways) than it is to have exhaust fans. One exhaust fan should be sufficient, so if you are getting more fans, make sure they are blowing air inwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallows
                      Also it only seems to be happening when I play city of heroes and don't have my air conditioner on.
                      Well. The lower the room temp the lower the temp of yoru computer is going to be. Also just run your computer for a little while with the side off, just to see if it is just bad airflow. You may want to just buy a couple more fans
                      Last edited by KoolDrew; 06-28-2004, 04:26 PM.

Comment

You don't need to run for long with the side off as this is an experiment to find out if your case has an airflow prob because if you get a serious drop in temps then the case's airflow will need to be looked at but if the temp doesn't move or only a little then your HSF will need to be looked at. The worlds best HSF won't do any good if the airflow of the case is poor (maybe a link to the case itself would help) and you need to have a bit more air travelling into the case than coming out so as to give the case a slightly positive pressure.

Comment

Working...
                        X