In major need of upgd....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In major need of upgd....

Hey, I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. My current system is an HP machine (yeah....i got screwed....I knew very little when i got bent over on that purchase). It has an AMD 2600+, has 768MB of generic RAM, Western Digital 7200RPM 120GB Hard drive, 32X DVD ROM, 40x12x40 CD burner, Audigy 2ZS sound card, crappy mid-sized case, 350 watt generic PSU. The mobo is unbeknowenest to me. My video is currently onboard (I purchased nVidia 5600 ultra a 11 months ago for $299.99+Tax, 344.99 with tax, (also had $100 mail-in rebate ;) ) the fan stopped spinning 20 days into it life, now by this time, i realized what a piece of **** the 5600 was, so i brought it back to Futureshop (place i got it from) they said the line was discontinued and they couldn't replace it or get it fixed, I thought, fine, i shall just replace the fan, however, they then said i could return it within a year and i could pay the difference. So i recently returned the card for the 344 and i had the $100 rebate on top. So now i am just waiting for ATI's new cards to hit Canada) im thinking of purchasing the X800. I was wondering whether it would be better to upgrade my current system, or strip it for parts (optical drives and Hard drive, sound card) and build (rather get a buddy of mine to) a new system with a better Mobo (Intel or AMD?!) and faster processer.

Any and all input is appreciated

Thanks, Vivi1212

Re: In major need of upgd....

strip the HP and then build a nice fast athlon 64 based system

Comment

An Athlon 64 system would be the only viable choice. Intel is out of the question, and any socket A processor is out of the question.

Do you know what speed the RAM is? If not, get CPU-Z from my signature and tell us the speed. The speed will determine whether or not you need new RAM.

Like metalicat said, the HDD is fine. Keep that.

I'd suggest a GeForce 6800, 6800GT, or 6800 Ultra for video. They perform better than the X800s for the most part and the 6800 and GT cost quite a bit less, too. However, you may just have to get whatever is available to you as some cards are difficult to find in the U.S. and probably all but impossible to find in Canada. I know some of the X800s are fairly low in stock.

You'll also need a new PSU and probably a case.

Comment

If you are not really ona budget you could wait for the 6800 Ultra Extreme and have an awsome gaming PC.

Comment

My RAM is PC333. As for video card, your positive (at least in your opinion) that nVidia's card is better (Pixel shader 3 i suppose). Yeah, i suppose the power requirements I would need a new PSU. Availibilty shouldnt be a problem, if i cant get it form Canadian retailer, then i will get one shipped from the states. My budget, without the aforementioned $444 for video card would probably be as lest as possible, i was hoping to invest only another $500, but with need of new mobo, processor, psu and more then likely case (Damn mid-size piece of crap, looks ass ugly too) i may need to go a bit higher.

What is the going rate on a higher mid range mobo and processor? I am still newb-like in many areas and do not wish to be ripped off again.

Once again, any input would be greatly appreciated

Comment

sorry for double post, but i forgot to ask why Intel was out of the question?

Comment

What is your budget for a new sytem? (how much do you want to spend) And Intel is out of the question because an Athlon 64 system will perform much better

Comment

max budget not including video card is $700 ( i could give more if it should have a nice increase in performance ;)

Comment

You'll basically have two options:

Get a new socket 939 motherboard and Athlon 64 3500. That's most of your budget. No room for RAM. You'll have to use PC2700 (I'm assuming you meant DDR333, not PC333). You can probably fit just about everything else in here.
                  OR
                  Get a new socket 754 motherboard and Athlon 64 2800-3400. Get 512MB of PC3200 RAM (two sticks or one; no dual channel for this anyway). This is likely to perform better as you won't be bottlenecked by slow RAM. However, you will have limited upgrading options and will find yourself replacing the motherboard and processor, rather than just the processor.

The best option, however, would be to spend enough money to get the 3500 and the new RAM (along with the motherboard and everything else you need). That will provide amazing performance on top of being upgradable.

Comment

im probably heading into the 939 area with the new proc, however, depending on how my computer fund does (also need to save money for school....this is my last year of high school :/ ) I may wait a while longer before i upgrade that way I have a newer suped up comp just in time to go to college/university. Although it would suck, b/c i cant play any newer games (Doom 3, Half life 2, Far cry.....bah) it would allow me to put aside another $200-$300 which would get me the new RAM im looking for

Comment

Working...
                    X