Which HDD for storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which HDD for storage?

My 120 GIG WD is FULL...I have about 2 gigs free with more MP3s/ISOs needing to be moved over. I am also planing on adding hi-def PVR functionality to my PC in the next few months.

The "catch" is that all of my SATA ports are being used so I will need to stick with the IDE port my 120 is on. Western digital only makes a 320gig, all of their larger drives are SATA.

So I am left deciding bettween the few other manufactures out there...
    I was looking at this...

and this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148133

If there are any other larger (at least 400GB)IDE drives that are worth looking at, or if either of the two drives above can be found cheaper, please let me know.

Re: Which HDD for storage?

Why wouldn't you just buy a few large SATA drives and upgrade that way. 250GB SATA 2 drives are cheap and worth the trouble. Set up a raid array for speed while you are at it as well.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

With my "upgrade" to the A8N32-SLI, they cut back on the SATA ports and they are all being used right now. 3x74 in RAID0, 1x74 for OS and 1x36 for swap file/ISOs. Also, my case is running out of room for drives. With my watercooling res taking up the top 5-1/4 bay and the tubes using the 2nd, the Antec TC2's control panel is in the 3d(with a HDD in it) and my DVDRW in the bottom.

It's just much easier for me to get a new HDD than MB(or SATA controller) and a case.

Comment

Dude, you could get an external drive

Comment

I actually do have an external, a free 120GB out of my buds DVR. I use it to back everything up.

But I need a drive that is more accessible as I will be keeping my ever expanding mp3 collection (~65GB now with another ~150GB on its way) and to record both hi-def and regular programming.

Comment

Personally, the Raptors do not have much more speed than the new SATA 2 drives. You would be sooooo much better off getting 4 250GB SATA 2 drives and raiding them than running Raptors. Plus, you could sell off the Raptors and easily pay for 4 new drives and then some.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

What SATA 2 drives are as fast as the Raptors?? Did another company come out with 10k drives?? The platter speed is where the raptors get their large advantage, I know other drives bust rates can hang, but the average thruput (what I'm looking for) has, as far as I know, left raptors far in the lead.

Comment

Raptors are still the fastest drives in many applications, but it's true that many of the larger, new SATA drives are quite comparable and even faster in a lot of programs. When it comes down it, the small speed advantage is not worth the storage capacity and money you lose when going for a Raptor over a bigger drive.

Comment

yes, its true that the 10k spin speed is fast, but its now the platter density that you want to look for - a 250gb drive with 125mb/platter if possible. the samsung spinpoint p120 that i got for someone is fast cause it has ncq (if your mobo has this then an ncq drive is a must) also its almost silent. another good one is the hitatchi deskstar t7k250
                  also, the new raptor 150gb is the one for speed, if you have the bunch it costs
                  Last edited by Munkul; 06-22-2006, 03:38 AM.

Comment

I must be falling behind the times....can anyone provide a link or two showing these newer, high density, drives benching against some Raptors(preferably the 74s like I have)??

BTW, my controller does support NCQ, the 74 gig raptors support TCQ, which is similar to NCQ.

I've been doing some thinking and I can use the SATA port the 36 gig is using which would reduce the cooling/power requirements by one drive.
                    Last edited by matm347; 06-23-2006, 01:45 AM.

Comment

well, CustomPC magasine did just that test a while ago, you could see on their website i think. http://www.custompc.co.uk/

it misses the t7k250,and the review refreshed my mind: its about level, speed-wise, with a raptor.
                      however, the new raptor 150 is definately the fastest.

Comment

I found this...
                        http://www.reportlabs.com/testbed/ve...v1/hdtop10.php

It looks like the 74gig raptors still hold their own, second only to the 150 in the benchmarks they used.

I was about to order the SATA 750gig, but found the 500gb WD SE16 had a better price/gb ratio and ended up getting that, along with this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824112174

Looks like I'll have to upgrade my GPU next, the single 7800 isn't going to do many games @1920x1080

Comment

Working...
                        X