No announcement yet.

Gaming system (Vista 64bit)- What CPU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming system (Vista 64bit)- What CPU?

Just waiting for next sale but I'm thinking about one of these 2 CPU's since they are in my price range.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Also, what mainboard would be best?

Re: Gaming system (Vista 64bit)- What CPU?

Core i7 is the only logical choice and look to ASUS for something in the high end if you want to overclock.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob View Post
      Also, what mainboard would be best?
      Foxconn Blood Rage?
      E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Core 2 duo is still better for GAMING.. Newer , isn't always better. The i7 would perform better for video encoding but not at gaming

Comment

i7 is a quad core that removes the need for a northbridge,
          its faster for everything, depending on what you play, newer games, farcry2 , crysis and prolly more that i cbf to list ustilize multicores. older games like halflife2 will prolly benifit more from brute speed rather than core utilization.

you cant go wrong with the i7 for the next 2 years atleast.

*2009 they are releasing the i5 and i6 series, so it'll still be ontop.

oh and if you do purchase it, be prepared to shell out 2grand minimum on an entirely new system. you cant salvage your ram or mobo

my rig:
          i7 920
          X58-UD5
          6gb corsair Ram
          ati 4870x2
          slow and trusty 200GB harddrive
          my old dvd burner.
          old monitor

even with my salvage operation it still cost me nearly 3grand :(
          Last edited by sorak; 12-26-2008, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Both are good processors the 8600 out prforms many of the Quads out there but with i7 consider all that need to be upgraded. You'll need tri DDR3 memory kit then there the HS which in most cases needs to be upgraded and the mother board for the new socket as well. I'd say the minimum to jump to i7 would be $700 likely much more depending on what you choose. There is no doubt i7 is the future and a very bright on at that, but as is with all early adoption we have to wait to see the full benefits as software and hardware take better advantage of it's true potential. So, if you want bang for the buck I'd have to go with the E8600 for now and save those pennies for an i7 beast.
            Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
            X