Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two new computers. Question: Will they hit the ground running or explode on impact...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two new computers. Question: Will they hit the ground running or explode on impact...

I'm trying to put two new computers together, one for gaming and
    the other will be for more work related tasks. (So it won't need nearly
    as much power)

I'm rather inexperienced when it comes to hardware, so if any of the
    parts I've selected either won't work together or don't function under
    the Windows XP OS, please let me know. :)

Any suggestions, comments or thoughts would be very welcome.

(-==--==-Gaming Machine-==--==-)

Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M PRO Socket 1156 Intel H55 Chipset Dual-Channel DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1333/1066/800Mhz Gigabit LAN 8 Channel HD Audio 1x PCI Express 2.0 x16 Slots & 6x SATA 3.0Gb/s, 6x USB 2.0 Micro ATX

CPU: Intel Core i3 550 Dual-Core Socket LGA1156, 3.2Ghz, 4MB L3 Cache, 32nm

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTS 450 Superclocked 1024MB (01G-P3-1452-TR) nVidia GeForce GTS 450 Chipset (882Mhz) 1024MB (3800Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card

RAM: Patriot Signature 2GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 DIMM (PSD32G13332)

Power Supply: OCZ Fatal1ty Series 700W Power Supply (OCZ700FTY)

Case: NZXT Tempest EVO Crafted Series Black Enthusiast Steel Mid Tower Case

Sound Card: Using Onboard audio.

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Green (WD5000AADS) 500GB SATAII 32MB Buffer

DVD: LG GH22LP20 IDE LightScribe Black 22X DVD-Writer W/SecurDisc 22xDVD+R/-R 8xDVD+RW/6xDVD-RW 12xDVD-RAM 16xDVD+R DL 16xDVD-R DL 48xCD-R 32xCD-RW

(-==--==-Work Terminal-==--==-)

Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M PRO Socket 1156 Intel H55 Chipset Dual-Channel DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1333/1066/800Mhz Gigabit LAN 8 Channel HD Audio 1x PCI Express 2.0 x16 Slots & 6x SATA 3.0Gb/s, 6x USB 2.0 Micro ATX

CPU: Intel Core i3 550 Dual-Core Socket LGA1156, 3.2Ghz, 4MB L3 Cache, 32nm

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce 210 SC SuperClocked (512-P3-1211-LR) nVidia GeForce 210 Chipset (608Mhz) 512MB DDR2 (810Mhz) DVI-I/HDMI/VGA PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card

RAM: Patriot Signature 2GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 DIMM (PSD32G13332)

Power Supply: OCZ Fatal1ty Series 700W Power Supply (OCZ700FTY)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 310 Red Mid Tower Case (RC-310-RWN1-GP)

Sound Card: Using Onboard audio.

HD: Western Digital Caviar Green (WD5000AADS) 500GB SATAII 32MB Buffer

DVD: LG GH22LP20 IDE LightScribe Black 22X DVD-Writer W/SecurDisc 22xDVD+R/-R 8xDVD+RW/6xDVD-RW 12xDVD-RAM 16xDVD+R DL 16xDVD-R DL 48xCD-R 32xCD-RW

When I dream,
    I carry a sword in one hand,
    a gun in the other...

Re: Two new computers. Question: Will they hit the ground running or explode on impac

From what it appears to be, the only difference between your work and gaming machine is the graphics card. While everything does work, I am not sure what kind of gaming you are trying to do and what kind of work you are trying to do.

For both the work machine and gaming machine, you will probably want 2x2gb of memory (4gb total). However, windows xp will only recognize 3gb if you are using 32bit windows. 64 bit windows will recognize all 4gb. Most games and most work programs that I know of usually need at least 1-2gb of memory to run well.

The work machine can also use a small power supply. 700w is overkill for it, unless you plan on upgrading in the future with a better cpu or graphics card. Unless the 700W PSU is super cheap or something...

Comment

Re: Two new computers. Question: Will they hit the ground running or explode on impac

When I started looking both machines specs were different, the work
      terminal was going to be using a socket 775 MOBO and a lighter CPU
      but I ran into problems with availability of some of the parts I needed
      so both computers ended up rather similar.

The socket 1156 boards and Intel Core i3s aren't that much more expensive
      and I figure even if the Ghz of the CPU is the same as the socket 775 I was
      looking at it will probably perform better due to its newer architecture and
      larger Cache. (This is just me guessing based on a few articles I've read.)

If the gaming machine can run programs like Call of Duty: Modern
      Warfare 2
      and R.U.S.E. with their graphics settings at decent level
      then I'll be quite satisfied with it.

The work terminal needs to be able to run word processing, some large
      art programs and a bit of 3D modeling software. It doesn't have to
      run it at a blazing speed so I'm hoping that the EVGA GeForce 210 SC
      SuperClocked
      will be more then enough to meet the minimum requirements.

I believe I'll be running the 32Bit version of Windows XP, does that
      mean I need one 2G ram stick and one 1G ram stick to gain the 32Bit's
      limit of 3G? or can I place a 4G ram stick (Or two 2G sticks) into the
      board and it will be able to read without a problem as 3G of ram?

I'm hoping that in the future the 700w PSU will be more then enough
      if I want/need to upgrade any of that machine's parts so I don't
      mind it being above what is needed.
      When I dream,
      a gun in the other...

Comment

Why are you building two new computers but restricting yourself to an older operating system as well as staying with one that limits the amount of ram?
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

There are two reason I'm using WinXP.

1) I already have two WinXP CDs ready to use.
          2) Some programs I need to use don't like to run easily in Win7.

I have nothing against using Win7... it just isn't the solution I
          need right now.
          When I dream,
          a gun in the other...

Comment

The socket 1156 boards and Intel Core i3s aren't that much more expensive
            and I figure even if the Ghz of the CPU is the same as the socket 775 I was
            looking at it will probably perform better due to its newer architecture and
            larger Cache. (This is just me guessing based on a few articles I've read.)
            <-This is true that it is better. Luckily you can still upgrade the cpu in the future to the current i5 and i7s being offered.

If the gaming machine can run programs like Call of Duty: Modern
            Warfare 2
            and R.U.S.E. with their graphics settings at decent level
            then I'll be quite satisfied with it.
            <-It will run fine with the 450. If you can, you should try getting the 460, since I think that was overall better value.

The work terminal needs to be able to run word processing, some large
            art programs and a bit of 3D modeling software. It doesn't have to
            run it at a blazing speed so I'm hoping that the EVGA GeForce 210 SC
            SuperClocked
            will be more then enough to meet the minimum requirements.
            <-For the games above and art program and 3d model software, memory might be an issue if you only have 2 gigs of RAM. The gfx card is probably fine for those. However, I heard newer photoshops and some other programs are starting to make use of the gfx card to help with the processing.

You may or may not want to consider this thread for the EVGA 210 non-super clocked edition if you want to be ultra cheap. http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=731922

I believe I'll be running the 32Bit version of Windows XP, does that
            mean I need one 2G ram stick and one 1G ram stick to gain the 32Bit's
            limit of 3G? or can I place a 4G ram stick (Or two 2G sticks) into the
            board and it will be able to read without a problem as 3G of ram?
            <-If you are still sticking to 32 bit XP instead of 64 bit XP, then getting 2gb + 1gb and 2gb + 2gb will both equal the 3gb of ram. Get whichever set is cheaper. This usually means the 2x2gb is cheaper, its just that 1gb wont be used/seen.

I'm hoping that in the future the 700w PSU will be more then enough
            if I want/need to upgrade any of that machine's parts so I don't
            mind it being above what is needed
            <-Yes 700W is more than enough.
            Last edited by GuMiBears; 12-12-2010, 11:19 PM.

Comment

There are better alternatives to the GT 210, such as the HD 4550 and HD 5450. See Best Video Cards for Non-gaming Use for recommendations on non-gaming video cards.
              There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comment

Working...
              X