Upgrade setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade setup

I was looking to upgrade my computer and was hoping someone could help me out. Currently, the setup I'm trying to upgrade is: 1 Ghz AMD Duron Processor, 160 (1x128, 1x32) Mb of SDRAM, MSI K7T Turbo2 Motherboard, ATI Radeon 7000, 300 Watt power supply, I use the onboard AC97 sound, 20 GB WD Hard Drive, and 56x CD-ROM. I wanted to keep the motherboard and processor, but I was looking to get a pretty good video card, a sound card, a new hard drive (maybe 40GB), some more memory, and one of those sweet windowed, modded cases :smokin: . I'm just looking for a pretty good puter to do some gaming (AA:O and such), some graphic design, and video editing; somethin' with a good bang for the buck. I'm only 15 so I don't have a lot of money to plop out and its winter so I really can't cut grass ;) . Thanks for your help!:wave:

U dont need to waste money on a case.
    But the 32mb ram has to go. Or at least move it to slot#3 if u got a 3rd slot to make way for a 512 or a 256(I got 1024mb). Make sure its all pc 133 or better. The cpu can be safely clocked to 1.1ghz(if u got enough cooling)and make sure the h-sink and fan are clean with thermal paste between the sink and cpu. My current cpu is a 950mhz celeron 100fsb@1100mhz(the max for my qdi advance 10b board)and no heat problems.

Next: i have a similar ati card that is running at 21%overclock with radeonator at boot:cheers: it works great. Do u need really more drive space? Try getting rid of some junk u don't use first.
    Next try tweaking a bit, alot of junk can go and speed can magically appear.

As for sound card, I have:thundering 5.1 cmedia pci card. Drivers appear in windows xp update. Definate improvement and for $25 Canadian, its a steal. Other similar cards cost around $80-100 Canadian.

since u are new to upgrading, its not wise to take big leaps. Since u don't want to waste your cash. email me if u have any questions, some advise can save u hundreds or even thousands
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Thanks for taking your time out to help me! Yeah, I was looking for a bigger case and some added tweaks for better air-circulation. I was looking into overclocking. About the video card...I'm happy with what it does for what I paid for but I'm looking for something a little bit better. I saw that they have Radeon 9000s now that are around 60 bucks. I just get bummed with my current card and its FPS in most games. :( (as low as 1 fps in high detail games, if you want a basis for a joke). And the memory is just retarded :geek: . I saw something on Pricewatch with 512 MB for about $30. But I don't wanna waste money on a peice of green plastic with black plastic rectangles glued on the sides, ya know? If you know any good places with some good prices that won't rip me off, please share. Any hints with something exact I should buy would great also. I'd be very appreciative. Thanks again!

By the way that isn't my cat...

Comment

If I were in your shoes - the first thing I would upgrade would be the motherboard & RAM - and then start saving for a new CPU & Video card
        if you make the jump to DDR ram - the extra bandwidth will significantly increase your frame rates & give you a better starting point for a faster system - Companies like ECS and Epox make some pretty cheap KT333 motherbards, have a look at those:thumb:

Comment

Working...
        X