power supply question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power supply question

I just got a new ThermalTake Xaser II case which came with an Xpower 450watt power supply...i never heard of this brand nor seen anything on the internet about this power supply. Have any of you seen or heard anything about this power supply. I the case at a really good price but i wanted your opinion on weither i should replace it or see how long it will last. Can a bad power supply cause any damage to your system?

yes! my last psu cost me 2 motherboards, 1 512 PC2100 stick, and an athlon xp 1500+....so yes, a bad psu can really screw you up

as far as that psu goes, there is a thead in here somewhere that
    mentioned the tt line of psu as being ok, in fact there are several different brands that are basically the same...this one being one of them...perhaps wiggo will respond to this, he seems to know more about these things than I do

Comment

Just wanted to add that from the description where i bought it, it sounded like the power supply was a add in by the seller not from thermal take...i took a look at the label and i could only see xpower written on it...no mention of thermal take.

Comment

well in that case, i've got no idea how good it is..stick a mutimeter in in and see if it keeps a steady fow

Comment

Originally posted by mdgosch
          i took a look at the label and i could only see xpower written on it...no mention of thermal take.
          I am 90% certain x-power is the name Thermaltake are using for their PSUs.
          Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
          Managing Director
          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I would like to put a volt meter to it however this leads to a question i got...like i said i recently got the case and dont have a motherboard for it yet. I plugged it in and tried turning it on however nothing happens. Do you have to have a motherboard connected to the power supply for it start? Is there away to get around this so i can test it out?

Comment

you can burn up a psu without anything connected to it...maybe the newer ones are smart enough now not to turn on

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                you can burn up a psu without anything connected to it...maybe the newer ones are smart enough now not to turn on
                How?
                Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
                Managing Director
                Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

becuse the e- had nowhere to go, i think...that's what my old A+ instucter told me, but he never said how

Comment

Working...
                  X