Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CD-RW, CD-R, DVD-? How much is too many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD-RW, CD-R, DVD-? How much is too many?

:?: Could not find a home for this question, so reasign as needed !! :o

Wanting to start picking up misc. components for my uber system.:D Case is a full tower SX1200 which gives me 5 exposed 5.25 bays.

I have ordered a TDK VelcoCD 48x16/24x48 CD-RW. Now for redundency,

1.) If & which 48x-52x CD-R should I concider?
    2.) If & which DVD-R (or Burner) should I concider?

It is realized that the combo drives are getting as fast as the dedicated ones, but I would feel better as space and $ allows to have more than one. I just am not sure as to what combination.:confused:

I like usin' LiteOn CDRW's with LiteOn DVD's (great for burnin' disk to disk on the fly). ;)

Comment

I like the Lite-on 48X cd and the Acer 56X cds. As for DVD drives, I buy whatever is the cheapest as they all seem to work just fine for me. Many of the off-brands are just repackaged namebrands. I once bought a Pine DVD drive for $15us after rebate, and it was a Hitachi.

Comment

I had a cdrom, burner, and dvd...but right now i have wiggo's combo and it seems to be all you need...
        - Damien

Comment

Since I have the TDK 48x16/24x48, the way I read it I should go with the 16x DVD and forget the dedicated CD-rom, correct:?: This would give me the optical to optical read/write capability I was looking for, and you all prefer the Liteon DVD, correct:?:

:cool: Thanks for the input and I'll just start looking for the DVD.:thumb:

Comment

Yes I use the DVD for CD/DVD readin' and only use the burner for burning and that way the more expensive burner will last longer. ;)

Comment

nice to meat you jedihobbit, love the name....

... what you guys dont use 5.25" 744kb floppies anymore???

Comment

Originally posted by JediAgent
                ... what you guys dont use 5.25" 744kb floppies anymore???
                I got one of those i could use, pulled from a 386.

As for CD-RW's Lite-on is great, but I like Memorex. I got a 52X24X52 for $55 and havent wasted a CD yet. I dont know if im crazy, but i like it better than Lite-Ons

Comment

amd_man2003

I've stayed away from Memorex cd/rws as all of the reviews I've seen for some time rate them as mediocer in performance. The last one I bought was a TDK 48X for $40us after a rebate. (The last Memorex I had was a 2X. Made a lot of coasters with that one when cdrs were $2 ea.)

Comment

I prefer the LiteOn's due to their excellent copy record when using programs like CloneCD when making backups of protected CD's (legit here in Aussieland for PS's and such).

Comment

Originally posted by bigjackusa
                      amd_man2003

I've stayed away from Memorex cd/rws as all of the reviews I've seen for some time rate them as mediocer in performance. The last one I bought was a TDK 48X for us after a rebate. (The last Memorex I had was a 2X. Made a lot of coasters with that one when cdrs were ea.)
                      I know that they dont have the best reviews, but Ive went through 100cds at 52X speed and never had a bad one yet.

Comment

I've got a Toshiba 12x DVD-ROM and a Samsung 48x CD-ROM that I use for reading. I use my Lite-ON 40x CD burner for burnin only.

Comment

But the point is that ya only need a DVD and a CDRW.

Comment

Working...
                          X