Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partition in xp

Hi folks

a go install my xp pro sp2 in a new 160 gb hd and i have a question.

I need to create 7 partition . What is best way

-Create all in windows xp install ?
    OR
    -Just create c: in all disk, install xp and then create the others whith Partition Magic ?

Please give-me opinions

Re: Partition in xp

I wouldn't suggest doing it with the XP disc. Make the default C drive for XP install, make sure you use the entire harddrive. Then get in and use Partition Magic or the built in windows function to make the other partitions.

Make sure you leave enough room for the XP partition.. some installers use the C drive to extract it's files onto to install stuff and if you don't have enough space it can be a pain in the ass to fix... Hope this helps!

Comment

Make a 10GB C: partition for XP and the rest as the D: partition during the install and then the D: partition can be further partitioned latter after the XP install.

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
        Make a 10GB C: partition for XP and the rest as the D: partition during the install and then the D: partition can be further partitioned latter after the XP install.
        yah 5-10 gigs is good!

Comment

I myself partision the whole drive except for about 10GB which I leave for storage. What ou choose is based more on personal preference then anything. Many people make a seperate partision for OS, games, apps and storage. IMO that just gets annoying and there is no real benifit. There is however a benefit to have a seperate Storage partision. This storage partision can hold files like documents and other stuff you do not wish to lose. Then when you reinstall Xp in the future you will have all the stuff in your storage partisioon if you just format your C partision. Adjust the storage partision to your needs though.

Comment

Don't know why you need 7 partitions, but what the heck, its your hard drive.

I'll go in with wayout on this one. Just partition a small chunk for the OS and vital programs and leave the rest to be partitioned later through the Disk Management tools within the WinXP Control Panel. I generally recommend staying far away from programs like Partition Magic as they aren't always dependable. I've seen more than one hard drive have to be reformatted and the system reinstalled because PM screwed things up beyond repair.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

I'd just throw an eight or so GB partition on for the XP install, however much you'll need for applications on a second partition, and however much you need for vital files on a third. Unless you need to dual-boot or something, you rarely would need more than three partitions for any reason.

Comment

So my computer came with one pre-partitioned drive; the main C: drive and a stupid Compaq "recovery partition" D:. I removed the D: partition using the WindowsXP Disk Management, and now have about 4 gigs of unallocated space. How can I reallocate this useless memory into my C drive? Is this possible w/o deleting EVERYTHING on C:? and now that there is no more "D:", why can i not reassign one of my optical drive letters to "D:"?

Comment

You would have to use some software like Partition Magic which costs money. IT is hard to find a free ones that can resize NTFS partisions (assuming its NTFS)

Comment

Well then - anyone out there know of a free ones I can use to resize my partition? (Coincidentally, 'tis indeed NTFS)

Comment

Working...
                    X