bootvis program?tweaking xp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bootvis program?tweaking xp

was doing some tweaking on my win xp pro (WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax ) tweak 1. I'm on page 10 so i installed the program Bootvis and i ran it and it said i had a warring "disk write caching is disabled, so the question is were do i go to enable it. one more thing i followed the directions on using this bootvis it put 2 saved files in my folder were my program is at . the first one is labeled "trace_boot+drivers_1_1" has 12,335kb in this file and the 2nd on e has no label with o kb in this file.so is this correct or didn't bootvis run correctly?-> thanks :rolleyes:

a7n8x deluxe mobo
    (1)corsair pc3200c2, 512mb
    amd xp 2600+ cpu
    western digital special edition 80gb ata/100 hard drive
    windows xp pro, sp1
    ati radaon 9000 pro, graphics card
    lite-on cd drive 46x12x48

To enable write caching right click on my computer and click properties, then click the hardware tab.

Now, click on device manager and expand the disk drives tab.
    Then right click on the hard drive you want to modify and select properties.

Click on the Policies Tab and there should be a check box to enable write caching.

Comment

went there ,it's already checked, but it's greyed out so you can't change anything,i wonder why?

Comment

Do you have a SCSI or SATA Hard Disk? That greys out the write caching option. Also, have you installed the latest appropriate chipset driver for your motherboard. This is the Intel Inf and Application Accelerator drivers for an Intel motherboard, or the 4.46 Hyperions for a VIA motherboard. IF you have a VIA motherboard, have you installed the 3014 miniport drivers, because these are unecessary. Uninstall them (see my sticky in the VIA forums here).

Finally, the large BIN file in Bootvis just contains the bootup information Bootvis saved when it traced your bootup sequence and can be deleted safely. The 0 byte file with the funny name should stay...it's normal.

Once you've installed the appropriate chipset drivers (or uninstalled the 3014 driver) you should run bootvis again and see how you go, because it really does speed up your boot times dramatically.
        My Machine

Comment

Do you have a SCSI or SATA Hard Disk
          i have SCSI hard drive

have you installed the latest appropriate chipset driver for your motherboard
          no,but i'm reading your sticky right now

thanks for your answer on bootvis ?

how do i know if i have the 3014 miniport drivers? i really confused on were drivers go on my computer and what ones are all ready there .this is my next mission on learning on how computers work so help would be appreciated and what do i do on that warring message i got of bootvis saying "disk write caching is disabled" thank you

Comment

Working...
          X