How do I find Real DOS on XP pro???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find Real DOS on XP pro???

I am trying to upgrade the firm ware on my CDRW but it tells me I need to be in real DOS mode. I dont think this means the command prompt under windows but a true form of DOS without windows running. Is it possible or did Bill kill it for good and how do i do the upgrade.

WinXP doesn' contain DOS at all so you'll need 98 Startup disk (or similiar DOS boot disk) to boot into to get real DOS so ya can do the job.

Comment

any NT based Windows OS (i.e. winNT, win2k, winXP) does not contain DOS, only a simulated 'command prompt'

like Wiggo said, you'll have to have a boot disk with DOS

Comment

And before the inevitable "I don't have a boot disk" question is asked, you can get boot disk images of all sorts (and instructions) from: http://www.bootdisk.com
        My Machine

Comment

bill killed it. but it was time to die anyway. :2cents:

Comment

It's kind of funny because at one point I knew all the DOS commands and was quite good at doing things quickly in DOS 6.22.

But I guess logic prevailed and it seemed kinda pointless to have to type in a dozen commands (often with a CLS thrown in) to do something which can be done with two mouse clicks now.

Real DOS only exists for a brief moment before Windows and device drivers start loading nowadays.
            My Machine

Comment

It might have officially disappeared, but I know I find myself typing CMD a fair bit so I can do something faster...

Comment

the debate regarding pros and cons of removing DOS can go on and on without leading to any conclusions. isn't it? :cheers:
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                X