Clock keeps being reset in XP??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clock keeps being reset in XP??

I just setup XP Pro on and old comp that I haven't used in a long time. It was a fresh format and I used an SP1 integrated setup. Here's the problem:

Every time I login as any user including Administrator , an error message pops up that says something like The time setting in the control panel is not correct. When I go to set the time, it is set for 01/01/1601. I set it for the correct time and date, but every time I restart the system it is reset back to 01/01/1601. I have never had a problem like this before but then I have only use XP for a short time in the past and then went back to 98 SE for compatibility reasons.

Thanks for any help

check the time and date in the bios.

Depending on the age of the system, u may also want to update the bios.

Comment

He is correct, also that is a good sign that you need a new battery for your motherboard. One day if you find out your computer won't even boot up, then it's time for that battery.

Comment

sounds like a dieing battery to me, fortunatly it is a cheap fix =)

Comment

Yep, another vote here for the motherboard battery needing replacement. I can't think of anything in Windows which would reset the clock every reboot.
          My Machine

Comment

Yeah, I did try replacing the battery but the problem is still there. It's very strange. Luckily I only plan to use the comp for CD burning so it's just a minor annoyance

Comment

What does the clock in the BIOS say? Enter your BIOS and see what that says on rebooting. Then set it to the correct time and boot into Windows. Let's see what happens...it may help narrow down the problem.
              My Machine

Comment

Is your computer made by Dell? If it is, here's something to look into....sorry, just grasping at straws here tryin to help.

Comment

In fact what is ya hardware setup? :?:

Comment

if u find things okk in BIOS too then look for a virus.
                    try an online scan from norton.
                    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                    Last Updated:
                    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                    ======================
                    jabber : [email protected]
                    =======================
                    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                    yabaa dabaa doo...
                    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I don't have a DELL computer but I tried that method for DELLs. It didn't work. I have already disabled the net time anyway. I have a mixed bunch of old parts on the system.

FIC MB with a Celeron 400
                      WD 6.4gb & 27.5gb HDs
                      196 mb PC133 RAM

All old parts but it seems to run fine except for the time problem. I have checked and the BIOS clock remains set. When I first turned it on I checked the BIOS and all settings including the time were still set so the battery must have still been ok. I did change it anyway but still no help. I thought maybe it was something simple that I may have missed since I am not too familiar with XP.

Comment

Working...
                      X