XP Pro, Norton, and Bootup Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro, Norton, and Bootup Times

This forum has been extremely helpful in the past, so I'm going to ask for help once more...

I have Norton AV Corp Edition. After creating a new admin account on XP Pro, I noticed that my bootup times had increased. I am not 100% sure, but I'm 95% sure that Norton is the problem. After about 40 seconds of booting up, my computer looks ready to go, but it's not. In the systray none of the icons are present, EXCEPT Norton. This Norton icon (which is a shield) has a yellow exclamation point on it. This lasts for another minute, and then eventually the exclamation point disappears from Norton, the other other icons load, and the computer is finally ready to go.

I thought it would be a simple matter of me turning off an option to scan at startup. However, I can find no option regarding scanning at startup. I have nothing in scheduled scans, etc. I can't even find any kind of "Preference" or "Option" menu.

Is Norton the culprit which is slowing down my bootup, and if so, is there a way to stop these scans at startup?

Norton never did this on my old profile.

Thx for the help!

I have the same OS, same version of Norton. I have had that happen, but only when I've installed something. If there is a new device being detected, or I am installing something, Norton acts the same way, but once everything is sorted out, Norton boots just find for me.

Comment

So it just takes some time and Norton will work itself out without me having to do anything?

Comment

It's probably to do with the Norton scan at bootup as you said, I don't actually use that version of Norton, I use Norton Antivirus 2003 Professional and I notice there's a cross indicating Norton is disabled at startup and it soon disappears after it's scanned the boot record of all drives, it also normally accesses your floppy drive (you can see the floppy drive light come on for a split second) just before Norton says it's up and running... I think in time, it will speed up... That's at least what I've noticed on mine...

Comment

Norton never did this on my old profile.
          Did anything change since you re-installed? Hardware re-arrangement, or new hardware? (was it a re-install or did you just change some of the user account settings?)

Even formatting a drive will probably get this to happen, but it should go away.

Comment

Nah, it wasn't a reinstall, just a new user account not connected with a domain. I deleted my old user account which was connected with a domain. When I did that, it was very much like a reinstall, however, because when I opened Outlook (and other programs) for the first time with the new user account, it had to install. Other non-Microsoft programs asked me for my serial #, etc, as if I had just installed the program.

By the way, I'm glad I deleted the old user account from my old network, along with the domain. Other than this one minor irritant, my computer is working better than ever. Everything is faster for some reason.

Comment

Is the problem still occuring?

Comment

I think you may be right that Norton will eventually "fix" itself. I think it has something to do with installing new programs. The problem got tremedously better yesterday. My bootup times improved 100% yesterday, then last night I installed a program and now Norton is slow again. Hopefully it'll speed up again. I'll keep the forum updated in case somebody else is interested too.

Thx for the help!

tjgartner

Comment

Hi guys,

If startup is slow with Norton, try more RAM.

I found that it takes a VERY long time to get the Norton system tray icon going. I previously had 128MB RAM and recently upgraded to 640MB - what a difference! System tray is loaded in seconds and everything, especially Norton, runs faster.

I've also heard of problems with new programs installed causing a slow Norton, but have never had this problem myself. Maybe because my system was so slow before that I didn't notice the extra startup time!

But more RAM is always good!

Good luck,

Chris

Comment

Thx for the tip. I already have 512MB of RAM, though, which is the highest my computer will take.

I have to admit, I've basically been installing and uninstalling various programs over the past week. Norton is slow as always...maybe it'll speed up when I stop installing stuff....

Comment

Here is something I noticed about Norton, I have a DVD Drive and a Burner on the same IDE cable, and one of them is DMA Mode 1 capable, and the other is DMA Mode 2 capable, and my Norton only hangs with the exclaimation point when these drives are plugged in. I often have other drives hooked up instead, and Norton is ready instantly when the DMA Mode conflict isn't there.

Comment

I do have my wireless ethernet card plugged in at all times. I'll try booting up with it out. If that's the reason Norton hangs, how can it be stopped? I'm assuming Norton is trying to scan the hardware. There must be a way to stop it....

Comment

Yep, it's my wireless pc card that is causing Norton to be slow. It booted up in 35 seconds when I removed the card. Now the question is "why?", and "how do I stop it."

Comment

I had a similar problem with Norton. Try a simple test of changing your system date to any date before 6 January 2004 i.e. simply change the year back one year

If after a date change your system boots up real quick then the problem is one of a certificate revocation list (CRL) problem identified by Norton that affects machines after January the 7th.

Refer to the Norton site for the thread called:

After January 7th, 2004, your computer slows down

Hope this helps

Comment

If you really wanted to fix the boot problem you could go into services.msc and set DefWatch and Symantec Antivirus Client to Manual, and go into msconfig and uncheck vptray.exe. But you would have to manually start them to start Symantec. If your not actively downloading from say, a peer-to-peer or filesharing network regularly, then you will find a general performance boost but particularly in startup time. If that's the case and your into gaming, doing this might actually be a good idea. There's noticeable improvements in games. Of course it doesn't matter if you play practically anything but shooters.
                              In any case, it seems from my experience (been using Symantec AV corp for about a year and a half), that a lot of things can cause this slowdown to occur. I just ignore. The exlamation point or red x being there is pretty normal too, overall this isn't anything to be worried about.

Comment

Working...
                              X