No announcement yet.

Help With Windows Components Wizard!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Windows Components Wizard!!!

I screwed up some things in my computer. I used the Windows Components Wizard (in Add/Remove Programs) to remove MSN and Messenger. Apparently you check what you want installed (even if it's already installed), and uncheck what you don't want installed.

I thought you had to check what you wanted to add/remove. Therefore, I unchecked everything that was checked (some things were checked, some weren't), and I checked Messenger and MSN. Well, what this did is uninstall everything that I didn't have checked which used to be checked.

Anyway, I've been trying to get my computer back to where it used to be ever since. There are still some things screwed up, however. I don't have an "Accessibility" folder anymore in the Control Panel, and I don't have Volume Control at all (if I open "Sound" in the Control Panel, it won't allow me to put the icon in the systray because it says it's not installed).

Does anybody know how to get this stuff back? If not, could somebody who has XP Pro open up "Add/Remove Programs", then open "Windows Components Wizard" and tell me what their computer has checked or unchecked by default?

I tried System Restore, and even that won't put my computer back to where it was before this mess.

Thx!

In case anybody finds this link:

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

The problem listed there is exactly what is wrong with my volume control, however, their solution does not fix the problem at all.

It says "no destination picked" when I follow the directions and hit enter after typing the last thing listed.

I even tried booting in safe mode, then copying the file they list from the XP CD, and pasting it in System 32 folder...to no avail. It still doesn't work.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Comment

Working...
    X