sp1 and msblaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sp1 and msblaster?

Hi i have a laptop that has only 2 gb of hdd space so i could not install sp1 to it...but i have all the critical updates installed from MS. Will this still protect me from the msblaster worm and other worms of its kind? i am very worried...please help! thanks so much!

yes...you will have no problems as far as blaster worm is concerned but to be sure, keep your antivirus updated.
    btw i would recommend getting a bigger HD as it will help you install SP1 thus ensuring smoother running of XP.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

wow i disabled 'hibernate' and 'system restore' and got a whopping 300mb of xtra space. now i can install sp1. thx all

Comment

a firewall would do a better job of protecting you from things such as the blaster worm ...besides, who knows what other problems M$ has yet to discover about it's OS

here is 2 good ones (and free):

Zonealarm

Sygate

also, like asklepios said, you really should consider getting a bigger HDD...winXP would be much happier with some more room ;)

Comment

damn i tried to install sp1 after freeing up 400 mb of free space but it said it requires 450 mb so it uninstalled itself....now for some reason i have only 100 mb free...how do i get my 400 mb back?

i didnt use sys restore for i had disabled it to free up the 400mb..
          do u know where the files are located so i can delete them?

thanks

Comment

My guess is that it is fragmented/partially installed.

My second best guess would be for you delete some other software or portions of you OS you don't need like games, or accessibility options or whatever, free up 50mb or more, then finish installing SP1 and it will be back/gone all in the same install.

Chez

Comment

Originally posted by bongoloid
              damn i tried to install sp1 after freeing up 400 mb of free space but it said it requires 450 mb so it uninstalled itself....now for some reason i have only 100 mb free...how do i get my 400 mb back?

i didnt use sys restore for i had disabled it to free up the 400mb..
              do u know where the files are located so i can delete them?

thanks
              did you reboot your system after this? Some of the files may need a reboot to compeletey remove themselves. Also, try emptying all your temp. files folders. SP1 probably left quite a few of those on your system. If you have a CD Burner, you can put SP1 on a CD (which I would recomend anyway) and run it from there so the downloaded file isn't taking up any needed space. That will free up over 100 MB all on its own. Also, when installing SP1, if you tell it not to archive the old files it shouldn't need as much space.

Comment

If I remember correctly, SP1 also makes it's own restore point, thereby sucking more space. Been a while

Comment

yeah SP1 creates a restore point and depending on your options at the time of that half install it might have created an "uninstall directory" as well.

go to C:\Windows\
                  there you will see a directory "$NTUninstallSP1$ or something like that. since it is a hidden directory...you need to have show hidden files enabled from the option to see this directory. its name will be in blue colour.
                  you can safely delete this directory. also turn your system restore "off" and then "on" again. this will get rid of those restore points.
                  Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                  ======================
                  jabber : [email protected]
                  =======================
                  Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                  X