Lost Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Drives

Although they appear in the BIOS, Windows XP no longer sees my floppy,CD RW and CD ROM drives. I've tried restoring, but no go. It appears the driver files are corrupted. I tried to "repair" but that was no good. What is this? I never saw this happen..there must be a fix, other than reinstalling XP. It's not a cable; I have another OS on the machine that reads them perfectly...

go to "device manager" and uninstall "Secondary IDE".
    reboot and it will install drivers again. i hope that should solve the problem.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

If that dont work, check BIOS, as they can all be disabled there.
      :2cents:

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
        go to "device manager" and uninstall "Secondary IDE".
        reboot and it will install drivers again. i hope that should solve the problem.
        that would work if it was just his optical drives, but his floppy is involved as well.

if all this started immediately after re-installing windows, I'd recommend just formating and installing again...the install could have been screwed up somehow, it happens to me from time to time. Make sure there isn't any scratches on your CD and your optical drives are clean

Comment

Make sure your Floppy controller and IDE channel two are enabled in the BIOS. Also, by chance, you don't use TweakUI or anything like that do you?

Comment

Working...
          X