how do I boot from 2nd partition???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I boot from 2nd partition???

I have 1 harddrive and I am going to partition it into 4.....

I am wanting to have 3 Operating systems on 3 different partitions, the forth partition is room for programs and files...

I know how to partition using fdisk, but how do I choose which OS i want to boot?

is there a way to make a bootdisc to choose which partition i boot from?

what OS ar u going ot use? for REdhat linux and sum other linux OS, they have a panel that auto detects other OS and will let u chose the OS of ur chose. If u ar going to do All window portions, then u will need to do make a boot disk fr each one. Then in bios, make A:\ (floppy) ur main boot.

Comment

well I was going to try using linux mandrake 9.1, win 98se, and winXP pro..........

btw.....no floppy drive here....can i burn them bootdisc on cd-rom...

also, i read that my HD has to be formatted to fat32, can I not use NTFS?

thanks for reply

Comment

imo this is how you should go about.
        make 4 partitions (as u r planning). make 2 of them NTFS, one FAT32 and one reiserFS.
        first install 98se on FAT32 and then Windows XP on NTFS. use other NTFS partition for your programs but if you want to use these programs from 98se too, then make this partition as FAT32. don't hope that your NTFS partition will be viewable from 98se. i m not very sure about that though, someone with both 98se and WinXP will be of more help here.
        now that you've got Windows setup the way you want, get on with installing Mandrake Linux 9.1. Mandrake will give you a read-only access of NTFS partition and a read-write access on FAT32 partition. also you will have LILO as bootloader from where you will be able to boot into any of the OS you want.

P.S. i would recommend that you wait for 15 more days so that you can get Mandrake 9.2
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
          don't hope that your NTFS partition will be viewable from 98se. i m not very sure about that though, someone with both 98se and WinXP will be of more help here.
          winXP can read and write to fat32 and ntfs but win98 can't. anything you format with ntfs will be unviewable from win98. If you want both win98 and winXP to be able to see and write to all the Windows based partitions, then you will need to format them all with fat32. Like asklepios already said, install win98 first, then winXP, then linux. If you install all M$ Windows OS's, then start with the oldest and work your way to the newest. With M$ only installed, you can chnage which winOS is the defualt by editing the boot.ini file.

Originally posted by burnmaster
          btw.....no floppy drive here....can i burn them bootdisc on cd-rom...
          try this: http://bootdisk.com/nero.htm or http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

Comment

Originally posted by burnmaster
            I have 1 harddrive and I am going to partition it into 4.....

I am wanting to have 3 Operating systems on 3 different partitions, the forth partition is room for programs and files...

I know how to partition using fdisk, but how do I choose which OS i want to boot?

is there a way to make a bootdisc to choose which partition i boot from?
            If you prefer, use a program called Partition Magic 7 or 8, but i suggest using the Version 8. As it has more features.

Using this program, you can install as many operating as you like as long has you have the space in your HDD. And also... it will give you an option to boot on the operating system you like to use when the system boots up with all your files, and application working fine. Try it! its a good program.

Comment

Partition Magic is too expensive for the average home user, some $50 USD. How often is anyone going to use it? I go for Linux boot screen, even though I'm a complete noob to *nix

Comment

Working...
              X