A7N8X Deluxe - 1 SATA Drive 80 g Maxtor 150 mb/s will xp pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A7N8X Deluxe - 1 SATA Drive 80 g Maxtor 150 mb/s will xp pro

I only have one SATA Drive connected to my sata header. It is a maxtor 80 gig 7200 rpm 150 mb/s
    The xp pro boot set up will not run. After I set up system with an ide connected drive I can format the sata drive but still xp wont boot to sata drive. System runs great with IDE Connected HDD
    Do I have to use raid to use the SATA drive?

Why Wont Windows XP Pro see the drive before formatting ?
    It shows up in the bios as the primary master. But windows xp pro cd wont see it. cd works fine on IDE 133 ultra ata maxtor 80 gig HDD.

:wave:
    A7n8x deluxe mobo
    512 mb DDR PC 3200 Corsair RAM
    5200 128 mb 8x agp card

When you boot from the windows xp disk, watch the bottom of the screen, somewhere in the process of loading it will say "press ?? to install 3rd party driver" (its been a while since i reinstalled so i dont remember the exact key myself).

Press the given key and when prompted: remove the xp disk, stick in your ASUS A7N8X Deluxe disk, load the SATA driver, replace the xp disk and continue with the installation.

You will now be able to boot from your SATA HDD.

Comment

Ill try that.
      thank you much,

Well It only gave me 2 choices to press f4 to load scsi driver and f6 to load raid did not see a coice to load sata
      I just got it to load in 98 se no problem just wont take xp pro.

Comment

I believe that you were supposed to install them when it asked for the SCSI drivers.

Comment

Is the asus main board cd disk the one , Because it keeps asking for a diskette 3.5"

A7n8x deluxe mobo
          1 stick of 512 mb DDR PC 3200 Corsair RAM
          5200 128 mb 8x agp card
          xp 2600+ CPU Thourobred core
          antec server case
          dvd/cdrw on secondary master
          80 gig maxtor HDD SATA 15o mb/s
          420 watt thermal take pw supply

Comment

why will windows 98 load ok onto my new sata maxtor Hdd, but xp pro oem copy will not detect a hdd?
            if their is a sil con driver that I need is it on a floppy,? beacuse during xp set up it ask for a flppy when i press s to specify scsi drivers.
            asus only gave me a main board cd and it does have the drivers on it but it will not boot during windows xp pro setup.
            keeeps wanting to go to a:\\ drive for sata driver.
            DO YOU THINK IF I SET UP THE SYSTEM IN WINDOW 98 THEN FLASH THE BIOS, AND SEE IF XP PRO WILL SEE IT. THAT MAYBE THE MICRO SOFT SOFTWARE XP PRO WILL BE ABLE TO READ IT?
            dOES MAXTOR PRVIDE A SIL CON SATA DRIVER DISKETEE?
            tHANKS FOR ANYINFO YA'LL CAN HELP ME WITH BECAUSE i AM DOING 2 OF THESE SYSTEMS AT THE SAME TIME AND THEY BOTH ARE DOING THE SAME THING.
            :cry:

A7n8x deluxe mobo
            1 stick of 512 mb DDR PC 3200 Corsair RAM
            5200 128 mb 8x agp card
            xp 2600+ CPU Thourobred core
            antec server case
            dvd/cdrw on secondary master
            80 gig maxtor HDD SATA 15o mb/s
            420 watt thermal take pw supply

Comment

Asus shouldve supplied that floppy, most of thew time they do AFAIK. Thats your problem BTW. You can probably find it on Silicon Image website, maybe Asus's and make it yaself though

Comment

there must be a 3.5" floppy making utility on that CD. you should run the CD on an already installed PC and look for this utility or your HD might have come with a floppy with drivers.
                Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                jabber : [email protected]
                =======================
                Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Copy the contents of D:\Drivers\SATA\GUI\Diskettes\Disk1 and D:\Drivers\SATA\GUI\Diskettes\Disk2 to two seperate floppy disk and follow the instructions below (its all on the original disk you got with the motherboard all you had to do was look a little):

Partial contnets of readme file found in D:\Drivers\SATA on the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Disk:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  1) Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000/XP Fresh Installation
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Follow the instructions in this section if you are performing a new
                  installation of Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000/XP, and you wish to
                  boot from a device attached to the SiI 3112 controller.

1. Put your Windows NT/2000/XP CD into the CD-ROM/DVD drive, or the NT/2000
                  boot diskette #1 in the floppy drive if your system cannot boot from the
                  CD.

2. Press F6 for third party SCSI or driver installation at the beginning
                  of text mode installation. Press 's' when setup asks if you want to
                  specify an additional device, and insert the diskette labeled
                  'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATALink Driver Installation Disk'.
                  Press 'Enter' and select
                  'Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATALink Serial ATA Controller'.

3. Press 'Enter' again when prompted to continue on with text mode setup.

4. Follow the setup instructions to select your choice for partition and
                  file system.

5. After setup examines your disks, it will copy files from the CD to the
                  hard drive selected above and restart the system. After restart the
                  setup process will resume to finish the installation.

6. Once the operating system installation has completed you can follow the
                  instructions in section 4 to verify controller was installed correctly.

Comment

thank You

Comment

Thank You all very much. I'm greatful for your assistance.
                      Asus also emailed me the compressed file for the sata diskette maker. with exact instructions. Im surprised they responded so fast
                      I'm going to create the required floppy sata driver disk. I feel like a tech newbie for not exploring the main board cd more closely before posting to a forum. But sometimes i hit walls in my trouble shooting and I panic due to deadline pressures.
                      For a 12 yr control system / computer technician, My face is slightly red right now.
                      Happy holidays and thanks again,

Adams Automation Custom Computers
                      Tommorrow's computers at yesterdays prices!!!
                      Smart homes for smart people.

Comment

could you post those instructions from ASUS.
                        it will help users who come in asking same question :thumb: :cheers:
                        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                        Last Updated:
                        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                        ======================
                        jabber : [email protected]
                        =======================
                        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                        yabaa dabaa doo...
                        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Follow what 12 Iceman posted and you will be on the right track.
                          One of My SATA DRIVEs Was bad and am RMA ing it tomorrow.
                          My other machine went fine doing what 12Iceman said to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X