Installing Windows XP from Network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Windows XP from Network?

I have the laptop without CD-ROM drive or floppy. Is it possible somehow to install Windows Xp from network (network install)?. The laptop has the ethernet port and can be set to boot from network. Please advise. Thx.

The best way I can think of would be to create an ISO of the disc, send it to your laptop, then use a cd emulation tool to use the ISO. Google for that tool, Im sure I am not allowed to to say it:P

I guess though, thoeritically, you should be able to just copy the needed files over the network and install it, but it is microsoft, so I doubt its that easy.

Comment

installing over a network is a perfectly legal, and common thing to do, as long as you have a license for each PC.

However I havn't done it myself, which means I would have to google the answer, but I'm too lazy to do it right now ;)

Comment

However, that still needs some way to boot. I've never got a computer to boot from a network, so I can't help you with that one, but if you do manage to get it working, then you're set. :)

A couple questions though:

- Why do you have neither a CD drive nor a floppy in the computer? If you're installing XP on it, it must be a fairly new / decent computer. I haven't seen a laptop for a very long time that doesn't have either CD / floppy.
        - If it's not recent, is it worth installing XP onto?
        - Can you boot from other options (USB flash drive / removable drive / portable drive)?

Comment

I Googled for "Installing windows XP over a network, and came up with this:

EDIT: Bah, i was 3 mins too late
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

winuser, is there a reason you can't temporarily borrow a floppy or cd-rom until you get windows installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy
              I Googled for "Installing windows XP over a network, and came up with this:
              Just goes to show that if people actually took the time to use a friggin search engine they might find their own answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                Just goes to show that if people actually took the time to use a friggin search engine they might find their own answers.
                why do ya think I didn't search out an answer for my first post? you guys spoiled all my fun... :tears:

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. I might get to something with that. Beefy, the laptop I have is IBM TP X20 (P3, 256Meg memory, 20Gigs HDD). This model doesn't have internal CD-ROM drive or floppy. I have the external floppy drive, but it isn't helpfull, becasue Windows XP cannot be installed from it. And why windows XP on this laptop? It works very well and fast. I have it installed on T21 (which is the same as X20, but it has DVD drive) and it really works great.

Comment

If you can boot from that external floppy drive, then things are a lot easier. You'll be able to pretty much follow that guide that we posted.

Comment

I think it is going to be the easiest way to install :). I've downloaded the Floppy installation files yesterday and will give it a try. Just wondering if I can install it from either the pararell or USB CD-ROM drive.

Comment

Working...
                      X