Can someone clarify this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone clarify this?

My XP Home got corrupted on my Gateway box and I could not locate the restore disks. A friend comes over and installs a copy of his XP Home on my system. Later that week, I found my restore disks and started to reload all of my apps and drivers. While loading them I started encountering some oddities of which I would like to understand.
    First, I got some messages that said "The service patches you are installing are older than the operating system to which you are installing them". I figured my friends version was newer than mine, but what I dont understand is why patches for XP would be on a Gateway restore disk?
    Secondly, after reloading both my Gateway apps disks, I rebooted my computer (with the restore disks removed) and an upgrade screen appeared. It started trying to upgrade things by putting either a green check or a red "x" on each item listed on the screen. Since there were no disks in the computer, I am unclear as to what happened. I believe my friends version may be downloaded from a newsgroup and might have additional stuff that has been added to the disk.
    Sorry for the lengthy post,I am just trying to understand what was happening. Thanks for any responses.

ID just reinstall it with your Rescue disks and eliminate al these issues. After all, using your friends copy is illegal, unless you used your serial code

Comment

I used my registration numbers. I had the presence of mind to stick the decal with the code on it to the side of my tower case. I will probably follow your suggestion, but I am still curious as to what was happening.:)

Comment

Its probably drivers, and the drivers may be older than XP's, and XP may have built in drivers for evrything.But thats just a stab in the dark

Comment

where did he get his version from?
          That is the main question.
          OEM keys wont work with Retial CD and vice versa. :eek:

Comment

Downloaded from a newsgroup. The disk has several versions on it. I entered my product code and the install proceeded. I do get a registration message, but I may have gotten that before, I just dont remember.

Comment

downloaded from a newsgroup? even if you used your own CD-key you are asking for trouble. Either use your own disks or find someone with a legit cd that matches the version your key is made for and borrow their CDs (not their cd-key)

Comment

I am going to install my version and do a complete redo. If the registration nag message comes back again, I will just re-register it.

Comment

most probable thing that comes to my mind is that your friend got a slip-streamed CD with updated patches. now when you try to install with your CD it is giving you errors cos Windows recognises the dll's and thus patches on your CD to be older than what is already installed.
                  Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                  ======================
                  jabber : [email protected]
                  =======================
                  Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I doubt that anyone would bother slipstreaming a OEM CD, as the install directory isnt the same as retail. You would have to get into their setup etc.
                    Something is funny about this.
                    Also the regirstration of the "newsgroup CD" will probably get you in trouble, as they can tell its not OEM but something else.
                    Use the restore CDs. Than go and update what is needed. Forget the friends way, its not a good idea, and since you got your CDs back, why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
                      I doubt that anyone would bother slipstreaming a OEM CD, as the install directory isnt the same as retail. You would have to get into their setup etc.
                      Something is funny about this.
                      Also the regirstration of the "newsgroup CD" will probably get you in trouble, as they can tell its not OEM but something else.
                      Use the restore CDs. Than go and update what is needed. Forget the friends way, its not a good idea, and since you got your CDs back, why bother.
                      pal you have confused yourself. this guy has OEM CD's while his friend has "downloaded" CD. you know what i mean? so this "downloaded" CD is most probably not an OEM one and thus might be a slip streamed one.
                      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                      Last Updated:
                      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                      ======================
                      jabber : [email protected]
                      =======================
                      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                      yabaa dabaa doo...
                      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
                        pal you have confused yourself. this guy has OEM CD's while his friend has "downloaded" CD. you know what i mean? so this "downloaded" CD is most probably not an OEM one and thus might be a slip streamed one.
                        actually no.
                        I know he has OEM, and his buddies is a warez one, lets be honest, it is.
                        I also will call his BS on making OEM key work on Warez CD, no matter what newsgroup you got it from or how they slipstreamed it.
                        Just my :2cents:
                        Use the legal one, be done with it. :rolleyes2

Comment

Would someone please explain what "slipstreaming" and "warez" means?
                          The install cd that my friend brought over had several and I do mean several versions on it. It also had a key generator on it. Wherever it originally came from , it was very well done.
                          I ONLY used it to determine what was wrong with my pc. I could not find mine and I thought I may have had a hard drive failure. I am not a software pirate and I do not even belong to any newsgroups. I am merely curious by nature and would like to learn.
                          BTW, I really did use the product key that I had saved with the install cd that my friend brought over. I am thinking that if the key had not been good, the install would have stopped. Is this much correct?

Comment

SLipstreaming is making an XP install on a CD with alot of the updates, so it installs updates along with Windows installation. Also can be a hands-free installation.

Warez refers to anything involving piracy etc.

Comment

Thanks.
                              "Warez", I wonder how the origin of that term developed.
                              Everything on my box seems to be okay. I am not sure what corrupted the os. I never got the blue screen of death, what I got was a dos screen that said Windows did not load and then the pc froze. The main thing is all appears well, except for some data in Windows folders that was lost.

Comment

Working...
                              X