whats this error message mean??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats this error message mean??

please excuse my ignorance, but what does this error message below mean??

ive been getting this alot lately, not for mspaint.exe but a variety of programs, and then eventually ill get rundll32.exe error then the system wont do anything and i need to soft reset. Trying to reset thru windows it just sits there, and if i run logoff.exe it tells me it failed to initiliaze.. does this possibly mean i have bad memmory? I have a 512meg pc2700 OCZ stick and a 256meg pc2700 corsair stick. the both are run at stock speeds, no overclocking. is there perhaps some sort of software program i can run that will test my physical memmory vigorously and alert me of a problem??

rest of system;
    msi kt7n pro
    amd xp 1800+
    300w enermax supply
    win xp pro sp1 and all current hot fixes
    gf4 ti4400

thanks in advance guys,

-chris

also, these are my virtual memory settings, not sure if it is important

the reason for the drive X, is that i was told it is better to have a dedicated partition for virtual memory (so as not to fragment the pagefile). for that reason, all drives have 0 pagefile except for the dedicated partition, X:.

tia,

-chris

Comment

I cant find ya mobo. But is that dual channel RAM? If so its cause its mismatched.

Otherwise, download memtest86 from www.memtest86.com and run it

Comment

Try removing one memory stick and then the other, that will tell you which one is bad, if it's the memory. I got a similar msg and it was a memory module. There is also a prog called Mem Test 86, you can get it here:

MemTest86 is the original self booting memory testing software for x86 and ARM computers. Supporting both BIOS and UEFI, with options to boot from USB.

As far as putting the page file on a separate drive, I would say it's not necessary; the page file rarely gets fragmented, being a system file. It would probably be faster having the page file on the same drive as the system files, less "mechanical" access time on one drive than two.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeh420

As far as putting the page file on a separate drive, I would say it's not necessary; the page file rarely gets fragmented, being a system file. It would probably be faster having the page file on the same drive as the system files, less "mechanical" access time on one drive than two.
          Its only a partition its on, and it doesnt hurt anything to do that, though i cannot say it helps anything tremendously

Comment

im sorry-- been building too many PCs lately, i forgot my own model numbers :D it is a msi kt3 ultra (via 333 chipset with raid)

-chris

Comment

wow you guys are quick -- i love this forum, i will try the memmory program now..

-chris

Comment

Alrighty then just take out one stick of RAM and test each one, one at a time, then together, with the memtest86.

Comment

Working...
                X