Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE nag message

I am now encountering the following message on Windows XP:

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close". The message pops up every few minutes. I have not looked to see the details of the error as I probably would not understand it anyway. I am unsure what I need to do. Any advise would be greatly appreciated....................:)

well you can always post the details from the event-viewer. if we didn't understand the error either then may be an IE repair will be in store but i would say you post the error details from "Event Viewer".
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I did a clean disk, then a defrag. that did not do it.
      I took a look in add/remove programs and found what appears to be a bunch of spyware. I had noticed that on occasion I was being re-directed to a site different from where I wanted t go, but thought it was a glitch. I deleted all of that mess and have not had any problems. I would not have thought that spyware would have messed up IE, or maybe it was just something else. If it pops up again, I will post the nag message. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Indeed some malwares do a whole range of heinous tasks.
        I just took one out of a PC yesterday that prevented the opening of "My Computer", "Control Panel", and a few other goodies too.

Please, in future write down the error message - even if you don't understand it, someone else may.
        Amazing what typing in the key parts of an error may turn up using Google.
        There are so many things that can go wrong/be installed it would be pointless to guess, other than to say, "It's Windows - what did you expect?".

OK, here is my shameless plug of the week for Spybot Search & Destroy;
        Spybot offers a unique technology for your security. Far beyond antivirus Spybot searches and destroys unwanted software and protects your privacy.

Freeware, works well, updated regularly and has a wonderful built in Internet Explorer Immunizer for those who wish to use it.

Glad you were able to solve the problem, well done! :thumb:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
          OK, here is my shameless plug of the week for Spybot Search & Destroy;
          Spybot offers a unique technology for your security. Far beyond antivirus Spybot searches and destroys unwanted software and protects your privacy.

Freeware, works well, updated regularly and has a wonderful built in Internet Explorer Immunizer for those who wish to use it.
          You plug that so often that you should just add it to your sig...

Comment

Currently it's only plugged in about 48% of my posts - when that average reaches 51% the sig idea will save me a great deal of time. :D
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

You are correct in that I should have included all of the relevant information. I only solved the problem by blind luck. I really had no idea where to start. I will have to do something about the spyware and pop-up problem that I am now experiencing. I am now beseiged with pop ups.:(

Comment

well you can always stop using IE and move to Mozilla Firebird. you will simply be amazed at its in-built pop-up blocker.
                Last Updated:
                10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                ======================
                =======================
                yabaa dabaa doo...
                Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
                  well you can always stop using IE and move to Mozilla Firebird. you will simply be amazed at its in-built pop-up blocker.
                  that's not the only thing you will be amazed with :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                    that's not the only thing you will be amazed with :thumb:
                    yeh but that pop-up blocker is so good that i sometimes pray to see a pop-up. fyi none of them have been answered till now :p
                    Last Updated:
                    10th MARCH

======================
                    =======================
                    yabaa dabaa doo...
                    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Probably a bit over my head with what you suggested. I am still experiencing oddities like hearing a "Ding" sound while I was typing this post and the letters just stopped being displayed on the screen.
                      I am not sure how this junk got in my box, but it has created havoc. I am still occasionally being redirected when I click on links to other sites.:(

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
                        yeh but that pop-up blocker is so good that i sometimes pray to see a pop-up. fyi none of them have been answered till now :p
                        I have never seen a pop-up on Mozilla, though it stil allows all JAva applets(Ygames etc) to come up

Comment

Originally posted by yuri yavari
                          Probably a bit over my head with what you suggested. I am still experiencing oddities like hearing a "Ding" sound while I was typing this post and the letters just stopped being displayed on the screen.
                          I am not sure how this junk got in my box, but it has created havoc. I am still occasionally being redirected when I click on links to other sites.:(
                          did you follow Mr. C's advice? i would repeat the link given by him http://www.safer-networking.org/.
                          please go to the site and down "Sybot Search & Destroy". seems that you have been hit by spywares.
                          Last Updated:
                          10th MARCH

======================
                          =======================
                          yabaa dabaa doo...
                          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

http://www.spywareinfo.com/ has links, info and even an online scanner http://www.spywareinfo.com/xscan.php which may help with some of the more common nasties that can be picked up while surfing.

Comment

I am in the process of purging items that should not be on my computer. I have run across several files and folders that give me the following message when I try and delete them:

"Access denied. Make sure the disk is not full or the file is not write protected".
                              What does this mean??????......Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X