Choosing which one??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing which one??

When I boot up my new computer, which was upgraded from 98 to XP Home, before going to the XP splash screen, it always asks me which OS I want to start, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, or Microsoft Windows. Wtf is this??? What is microsoft windows??? How can I get rid of this, and tell it to always boot XP without me having to tell it to??? Thanks.

you need to edit your boot.ini file.
    first of all go to folder options and make changes to view the hidden files.
    now in your C: drive look for boot.ini
    edit it using notepad and under operating systems (mind it all other part is necessary) just let one line left which is most relevant to you. this is my boot.ini file
    [boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    yours will have "home" instead of professional
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I couldn't find that boot.ini file ANYWHERE..??? I unlocked hidden folders, and searched, with advanced options to search in hidden folders. Do you have a more precise path for me to look for it in?? Like C:/WINDOWS/???? Thanks.

PS Is there any other way I can get rid of this??? When I press F8 when Im at the OS selection part, it gives me some options, and one says something about boot logging I think, what's that??

Comment

Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery > Edit

Comment

Many thanks to the both of you, I fixed this stupid problem.

Comment

along the same lines. how do i get rid of LILO? i had linux for a while but decided not to do anything with it. how do i fix it?

Comment

boot from a bootdisk and pass the command [code:1:52474ee279]fdisk /mbr[/code:1:52474ee279]
              Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
              ======================
              jabber : [email protected]
              =======================
              Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
              X