warning m$ erases all competion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warning m$ erases all competion

Ok, just got back from a customer's house. It appears that m$ has erased the customer's linux from his hd(dual boot) in the last 24 hours, it's just not there anymore. The customer installed office 2003 despite my stern warnings 2 weeks ago about m$'s ability to eradicate compition this way through the m03(m zero three)trojan allowing them complete access to the users hd. Beware all, m$ is on the warpath. So basically the customer payed $550cdn for this to happen. No refund will ever happen since the software was opened. WTF? This will never happen to me. I am running mac osx open darwin x86 dual boot with xp pro.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Any evidence that MS (god I hate it when people spell it M$) "erases" the opposition? Just because it happened at a customers' house doesn't mean Office 2003 did it automatically. I have not seen or heard of any such thing, and MS would be absolutely stupid to scare its customers like this (which it isn't). Why jump to that conclusion? Any chance your "client" had no idea what they were doing and deleted it themselves?
    My Machine

Comment

Agreed with PI. Unless you've actually got some proof that it was a Microsoft product that did the damage, I'd stop jumping to really bad conclusions. At work we use a Novell / Windows / Linux environment, and I've had Office 2003 installed since it came out, and haven't had a glitch yet.

When you say 'customer', it sounds like you do this for a living. If so, then you should know better. Are you sure the person didn't just screw up the partitions or boot sequence themselves? Your 'M03 trojan' is also blown way out of proportion...

Comment

man stop this FUD. if this M03 would have been such a big deal (if it exists) then net would have been full of the topic by now. the only article or even mention of this thing, i could find was by that editor of Lindows (or what was he, i don't remember). every other page google shows has a copy paste of the same article.
        MS deleting Linux partition? cool idea :rolleyes2
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Hey maximus7001, if your so against Microsoft, then why do you use there products?

You remind me of Dale Gribble on a show here in the US called King of the Hill, you think Microsoft (in your case) is a conspiracy or something against you or someone else.

As already stated, if Microsoft wanted to do anything to our PC's, they could've done it with any of the other updates. That trojan you speak of, this is actually the first I've heard of it, and I've used Ofice XP from it's release. I ran Mandrake 9.1 without a problem when I had Office XP installed and totally up to date.

So how about you quit going off and flaming on Microsoft, when as a matter of fact, I'm sure it really isn't there fault that Linux was deleted.

Comment

Bill Gates runs the world through a secret AI construct known as Helios, which uses Windows to spy on the world and is secretly plotting our demise to make way for the alien invasion......OH WAIT!!! He's a phreaker who got lucky with Steve Jobbs in a garage. Some people really need to stop watching the X-Files. Ugh.

Comment

<Dale Gribble voice>Keep an eye peeled for those "M$" black helicopters!</Dale Gribble voice>
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                <Dale Gribble voice>Keep an eye peeled for those "M$" black helicopters!</Dale Gribble voice>
                :rofl:

Comment

It's not like American TV is unheard of in Canada. In fact, 80% of the stuff on the air here is American. King of the Hill is one of those shows...very fully show as well, at least when it is funny...it either really sucks or is really good. God, those accents are so annoying...

*ahem*

Anyway, I doubt Microsoft is eliminating Linux in this way. It's much more likely that he simply accidentally left a box unchecked or an option at the wrong setting, or something similar. Doing something like that is illegal, and while Microsoft has broken the law in many cases (using technology without giving the original owners credit and then using it in multiple products, for instance), I doubt they would take such a huge risk.

Oh, amd_man2003, it's not his computer that has the problem, it's the one customer. He said that he uses Mac, not Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by SearanoX

Oh, amd_man2003, it's not his computer that has the problem, it's the one customer. He said that he uses Mac, not Windows.
                    I know it isn't his PC, but this isn't the first time that maximus7001 has openly flamed Microsoft.

BTW, he said he dual boots XP Pro

Comment

Oh, guess I missed that part.

Sorry.

:cry:

Comment

Originally posted by SearanoX
                        Oh, guess I missed that part.

Sorry.

:cry:
                        Nothin to be sorry bout, we all misread things. ;)

:cheers:

Comment

It's called sarcasm...

Think this should be locked, as it's turning into a spam thread, unless the original poster wants to say something else.

Comment

It's true that Microsoft does a lot to get rid of competition, everything from disallowing computer manufacturers to distribute anything but MS OSs, to stealing software and putiing it in the next version of Windows, but I doubt that they would put a function into Office that gives it the ability to see ext2\ext3\swap Linux partitions, and even know what they are, much less delete them. Also there are Microsoft artcles that give heelp on dual-booting, even one that admits installing an MS OS will delete any existing Linux boot loaders. Not to mention the print services for UNIX service that can be installed via add\remove programs in Win XP Pro. There's no question that MS has tons of serious problems, from unlikeable and even illegal business tactics, to major software flaws, some intential, other just ignored. But aren't you exagerating just a little by saying MS is on a "warpath"? I have never even hear of "m03", and several google searches reveals a bunch of crap, so where are you getting your information on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                              I have never even hear of "m03", and several google searches reveals a bunch of crap, so where are you getting your information on this?
                              from a Linux selling site

actually what i feel is that all these claims are rising because of the XBox thing that happened a few months ago. MS released a patch that erased Linux off the "modded" XBox boxes and did so without taking any users consent. But out here people don't understand that those XBox boxes were modded and were not supposed to run Linux in first place but still this M03 doesn't strike a chord to me :shrug:
                              Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                              Last Updated:
                              10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                              ======================
                              jabber : [email protected]
                              =======================
                              Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                              yabaa dabaa doo...
                              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
                              X