Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Record?

I suspect you need a proper boot disk;
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

A boot record is not just a Windows thing, but all OS's use some version of it. Essentially, it is the very beginning of a disk (whether hard drive, floppy, whatever) where you will find the basic commands and locations of the files. It shows the pointers to where file segments are located within the partition and also shows what FAT ot NTFS (or other depending on OS) file structure is being used. It also designates the size and beginning/end points of the drive or partition.

This boot record is created when you format. If it becomes corrupted on a hard drive, you can sometimes fix it with a DOS command of fdisk /mbr but errors here can also be pointing to a dead drive or faulty motherboard as well.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

All good points indeed!

As this is the first time you have attempted such an install perhaps you can provide some more details.

Beginning with the origin of the Startup Disk which you are trying to use.
        Not all disks labeled such are intended for your purpose, such as those provided by OEMs to be used in conjunction with a restore disk, for example.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Actually, yeah I figured it all out in loading the OS and everything works fine now. After posting here, I looked up the term "master boot record" in my pc bible, Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PC's.

But anyways, the problem was my startup disk. I guess I had created a bad one to start with. (I used my mom's computer's 98 to create the disk) After making a new one, everything worked according to plan and now I made my first $ fixing this guy's computer.

Thanx again for your time in posting your comments.

Chaos:flames:

Comment

Working...
          X