Windows settings changed to lowest, cannot change back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows settings changed to lowest, cannot change back

When trying to play a movie, the video wouldn't play. Now, when I CTRL-ALT-DELETE, the computer sets itself to 640x480 4bit color mode. And when I try to change it, Windows XP gives me that blue screen "memory error" and restarts the computer. Also, everything looks like Windows 95 style. No mouse shadow, menu's scroll instead of fade in, etc...

I have also heard that this is possibly bad memory.

First up run Memtest86 and see if the memory produces errors. If it does and if you can raise the memory voltage by 0.1v and test again to see if the errors go away.

Comment

I don't think it's bad memory, but I could be wrong(Do what Wiggo said). Try downloading updated drivers for your video card and mobo. It almost sounds as if you are trying to run a program in Windows 95 compatibility mode with 256 colors. Also try playing the video with something other than Windows Media Player. (e.g. Quicktime, Winamp). It might just be in a format Windows Media Player doesn't havecodecs for. Do a virus scan. Get AVG from my sig if you don't have an antivirus program. Also try a spyware scan, although it probobly won't help. Get Adaware from my sig if you don't have a spyware program. Your settings can be reset in system and display (in control panel), but if it freezes in both not much point in that.

What blue screen memory error? The old style blue screen with some memory address? Please post the specific error message.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
        I don't think it's bad memory, but I could be wrong(Do what Wiggo said). Try downloading updated drivers for your video card and mobo. It almost sounds as if you are trying to run a program in Windows 95 compatibility mode with 256 colors. Also try playing the video with something other than Windows Media Player. (e.g. Quicktime, Winamp). It might just be in a format Windows Media Player doesn't havecodecs for. Do a virus scan. Get AVG from my sig if you don't have an antivirus program. Also try a spyware scan, although it probobly won't help. Get Adaware from my sig if you don't have a spyware program. Your settings can be reset in system and display (in control panel), but if it freezes in both not much point in that.

What blue screen memory error? The old style blue screen with some memory address? Please post the specific error message.
        Sorry, but I cannot post the blue screen error. It gives me less than 1/2 second before it shuts down, not allowing it to read me. Yes, I believe it did contain memory addresses.

Comment

Well try that stuff then. That seems as if it actually is a memory issue.

Comment

Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced tab

Startup and Recovery Settings > Under System Failure untick Automatically Restart, then tell us what it says

Comment

Well, the computer is alright now. I don't know what happend, but thanks anyways for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X