Extra Comp - Needs Use!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Comp - Needs Use!

I have an extra computer layin around downstairs.
    Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz Processer
    GeForce 2 MX Video Card
    712MB SDRAM
    Windows XP Professional
    40 GB 7,200 RPM Harddrive
    DSL Internet

This isn't a bad comp at all, and I need some use for it. What would you recomenend? I'm into webdesign mostly, so what could it be used for for my website? Any suggestions welcomed. :)
    Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Send it to me.. One more to add to collection.

Comment

you could use it for a web-design computer...what kinda monitor have you got for it?

Comment

I use my current system for webdesign. I thought about giving it away...then I realized that would be charitable. :twisted:
        Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Comment

It isn't a speed demon, but it would certainly be very workable for use as a server box. But if you decide to be charitable, I would recommend looking into giving it to a local school for educational use. They are always looking for extra equipment to meet student demand.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

OR..be a greedy punk and sell it for computer upgrade funds. :D
            CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
            Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
            RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
            GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
            PSU: Thermaltake 500w
            SC: Audigy 2 zs
            LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
            Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
            Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
              It isn't a speed demon, but it would certainly be very workable for use as a server box. But if you decide to be charitable, I would recommend looking into giving it to a local school for educational use. They are always looking for extra equipment to meet student demand.
              I could see it now, the kid would be looking for his homework document and up pops "Lesbian Sex Vid", no doubt he'd click it.. :P

Comment

:D

Unless you live in a smallish town, the firewalls normally utilized by schools make this type of surfing rather difficult. The wife works for our local school district and has a difficult time looking for work-related stuff.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

Take that HDD out of it. It's really being wasted. The processor isn't too bad, but with that RAM and video....
                  You could joing one of our distrubuted computing teams at Beefy's World. Join SETI@Home and help to find aliens, or join Folding@Home and help to cure diseases.

In addition to that, you could still use it for a web server. You can definetely use it for web design, web browsing, word processing, etc. but it's more than enough to do that an act as a server.

Comment

Working...
                  X