How To Make A System Retsore Disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Make A System Retsore Disk

You know, those CD's they get when they buy a Compaq computer. The day comes when thier system becomes slow or unstable because of the simple passage of time and degradation of the OS. drivers, and apps. They backup thier documents, restart with the restore disk in the drive, and the old is wiped clean and the OS and included software are all freshly installed. All is well again!

But for those of us who build our own computers, we should make these disks too. I've come to respect the input from this forum. Please discuss your experience and recomendations with the various programs that can create these restore disks.

Thanks

The only thing you need do is to set up the system to your own specifications and then create an image. I have had very good luck using Norton Ghost for this task. A boot disk with the Ghost program file and your CD with the image and you're set for a full reinstall of the OS and any installed programs.

Of course any time you upgrade hardware, you'll want to make a new image disk.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Thanks. I got the impression from other sources that Ghost was the one to beat. I ordered a copy of Ghost 2003 and (after backing up my docs)will do a fresh install of XP Pro and all my apps and latest drivers. I'll do all the windows updates and other app updates then use Ghost to copy all to my Plextor P708A DVDR.

In case you're still there: Do you have anything to add?

Comment

Not really. It is a simple process and easily done. When you do decide it is time for a fresh lease on life, though, make sure you format the drive beforehand (not sure if Ghost 2003 gives you this option during the image restoration). This makes sure you don't have any residual garbage from the previous install of Windows.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Working...
        X