sp2 popup blocker wont shut off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sp2 popup blocker wont shut off!

I have it turned off under tools, It still pops up when ever I download something.
    Is there anyway to unistall it or something in the reg I could edit?
    Thanks!

Re: sp2 popup blocker wont shut off!

Start-->Run-->msconfig

Go to the last tab abd disable from this point.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I didnt have that option in the startup folder, Thanks for trying! maybe I'll go thru my reg real slow and look for it, then screw it up so bad I'll have to format ;]

Comment

Originally posted by twillie2002
        I didnt have that option in the startup folder, Thanks for trying! maybe I'll go thru my reg real slow and look for it, then screw it up so bad I'll have to format ;]
        haha good luck, there are thousands of registry entries...alot being a fairy cryptic name...:p

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
          Start-->Run-->msconfig

Go to the last tab abd disable from this point.
          Darth, the popup blocker he's referring to is added to Internet Explorer as part of service pack 2. It's not a startup program so you can't simply turn it off in msconfig.

What exactly is your problem? What do you mean the pop-up blocker "pops up" (wouldn't that be an oxymoron? ) whenever you download something?

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
            Darth, the popup blocker he's referring to is added to Internet Explorer as part of service pack 2. It's not a startup program so you can't simply turn it off in msconfig.
            Ah, that would explain it then. I haven't installed the new SP2 yet since I'm going to be doing a fresh install soon anyway. Seemed kinda redundant to me.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Same here actually, but I've already had to set it up for other people.

Comment

This is how to stop the popup blocking from stopping downloads.

Goto Tools menu, Internet Options, Security tab, Internet Zone, Custom level, find the downloads section, look for "Automatic prompting for file downloads" and change its value to "enabled". this will stop the Information Bar from blocking automatic downloads.

Gary
                Last edited by GaryGBM; 09-21-2004, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I found this post while Googling, because I'm having the same issue. Was anyone able to determine a fix? I haven't found anything in the MSKB regarding this, only the opposite problem.

Just to clarify, I've turned the SP2 pop-up blocker off within Internet Options, but it still continues to block popups and display the notification bar. I've tried rebooting, and turning it on/off a number of times to no avail.

Die Pop-up Blocker!

Comment

If you turn off the popup blocker and then perform the step I mentioned above, it stops the information bar from blocking downloads, to stop the information bar blocking popups, you need to goto the same location, but you also want to alter the check box "allow script-iniated windows without size or position constraints" to enabled aswell, this stops the information bar blocking popups.

You can also turn off the information bar, but I dont recommend that, as its used to display information that you used to get message boxes for, which you dont anymore.

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your advice, after 2 months of searching for an answer your suggestion did work yesterday ot the popup links on this page. http://www.northjerseyjobs.com/jobsearch.html

Unfortunatly when I restarted my computer this morning the links didnt work again. The options you suggested are still intact. I have all popup blockers disabled, I have every option enabled in my internet settings. The download popup window still works though.

I use spybot, adaware and spyware blaster. I have allowed the site in all 3 programs. any idea why it would stop working after a computer restart? Also I have an identical computer with the same setup with most of the internet settings disabled and the popup blocker on and that computer still opens the links.

Thanks in advance,
                      Kaz

Comment

One word - Firefox

Comment

I have installed several alternative browsers, firefox being the first and I have the same problem in all browsers.

Kaz

Comment

Ok I am getting closer, it has somthing to do with norton antivirus 2004. Now I just need to figure out how to disable it without completly shutting down my antivirus.

Comment

Testing here at work has shown something... interesting.

If you cancel a request for a page (esc, or the stop btn) the pop-up blocker will automatically block all further popups from that site. It doesn't matter if the popup blocker is on or not.

If anyone knows of a way to fix this, please share.

thx

Comment

Working...
                              X