Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hate this java by sun tech, wheres the old one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate this java by sun tech, wheres the old one?

A while ago I installed my new windows xp sp2 (slip streamed version) and found out internet explorer doesn't use java anymore. I had to download java by sun, and it's horrible.

The new java lags my computer for a second when it loads up, which is so annoying, and just stays in memory even when it's not needed, unless I close all the IEs opened and open a new one.

How do I stop this new java from functioning like this, or where do I get the old java for internet explorer (old one was called virtual machine right? not sure)?

Thanks.

Re: I hate this java by sun tech, wheres the old one?

Microsoft basically stole Java from Sun Microsystems and Sun gave MS until now ( I assume) to stop packing it with Windows and IE. I have to install Java on each new installation of Mozilla I so. There's an option somewhere in there to tell it never to load up the thing in the tray or something similar. It will prevent Java from even running any processes so you can browse with Java support and not have any extra programs running. I can't tell you specifically what to do right now since I've already got it working like that, but there should be an option somewhere.

Comment

I suggest you goto "start menu", then "run" and type in msconfig and click on ok. On the new window that opens up, click on the startup tab at the top, this lists all the programs loading when your pc boots, look down the list for any java type program and untick it, once you have gone though the list, click on ok and it will ask you to reboot, once you reboot, it will be gone

When you look at the list, dont worry about removing anything, everything in the list is not needed to boot windows, so its safe to remove all entries

Gary

Comment

Here is a link if you want the microsoft version of java.

The first link is an up grade. You will want it I think but this link is the full version.

Last edited by Ronnie_USA; 08-21-2004, 10:03 AM.

Comment

You can still get old versions of MS java as Ronnie_USA linked to, but they aren't the newest and up to date. Unless things have changed I coulda sworn MS java still came with the Service Packs. (Well, not MS java, but none of the Sun MS console stuff) But you can disable all of the stuff the SunJava pops up and it should work just fine.

Comment

No, Microsoft Virtual Machine doesn't come with the service packs. It was no longer offered since MS and Sun had several lawsuits in progress. If you install the old VM app, you can still update it by means of Windows Update, it just isn't offered anymore as a standalone download. As amd_man2003 pointed out, however, it isn't the latest version of Java nor does it support the latest version. I have come across a couple of websites already that required me to load up the Sun version even though I have the VM installed on this machine.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

I have to live with this. I shouldn't be using the old java since I can't see everything with it. Thanks for the old java links.

It's so dumb though. Come on sun microsystems, newer versions should mean better performance, not suckier performance especially when you're at version "1_4_2_05."

Comment

It doesn't have to be a running program for you to have full Java support... Disabling some option (again, I forget) in the Java Console (or whatever they called it) and disabling it at startup (through msconfig) will prevent it from running. It should have absolutely no effect on performance.

Comment

Working...
                X