Win XP login issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP login issues

My sister has a laptop with Win XP home ed and everytime she logs in, a window pops up with the following message "The local policy of this system does not permit you to login interactively." She is the administrator of the laptop so permissions should not be an issue. I can reinstall the factory default installation from the recovery disk but she has a lot of files that she wants to save. Since it is a laptop, I don't know of a way to hook it to a desktop pc and get the data off. Also, I don't have a desktop PC with XP on I might have a problem with being able to read data off the laptop HD if it is formatted with NTFS. My desktop pc is FAT32. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Re: Win XP login issues

If both PC's have a nic then use a crossover network cable to connect them and transfer the data.

Comment

If your computer is a fat32 sys. You won't be able to read the ntfs file system on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie_USA
        If your computer is a fat32 sys. You won't be able to read the ntfs file system on it.
        What file system you're using ahs no effect on reading the data off of hard drive partition. The OS does. Windows NT/2000/XP have support for NTFS, but ME/98 and earlier do not.

However, there is a free utility that allows Windows 9x to access NTFS that can be downloaded here and must be used in conjunction with a few driver files from a Windows 2000/XP installation. At the same site there is also a floppy that can access NTFS from outside Windows just as a DOS floppy can access FAT from ouside Windows. But you can just use the network to transfer files, as Wayout said.

Comment

Using the network protocol it doesn't matter at all if one is Win9x based and the other NT based, if fact even having a Linux box in that mix will work.

Comment

I have one suggestion that you may want to try, which may help you get access to those files.

Try restart the computer and press F8 constantly untill you get a screen that asks you which way you want to start your Windows. Highlight the Safemode with networking and press enter, the windows should be loading now.

From here you should be loading to the welcome screen with 2 accounts showing now. One the Administrator and the other whateva account was used before.

Load the administrator account, it will prompted you with a message saying some crap. Just click yes and you should be able to check the files and move them from the laptop to another pc. You can also find out whats wrong with the laptop and why it won't login from the original account.

Comment

I would suggest the following:

Boot the machine as normal, on the login screen, press "Ctrl+Alt+Del" twice, this will bring up a new login screen, type in the username "administrator" and try to log in, normally there is no password for the administrator account, but if you have set one, then enter that password.

Once your logged in, goto control panel, administratrative Tools, and open up the "local security policy" program. Look for the section for interactive logons and user rights assignement, you will see various settings for logging onto the local machine, the one i think is the issue is the "deny local login" field, if her username is in that field, remove it.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by GaryGBM
                I would suggest the following:

Boot the machine as normal, on the login screen, press "Ctrl+Alt+Del" twice, this will bring up a new login screen, type in the username "administrator" and try to log in, normally there is no password for the administrator account, but if you have set one, then enter that password.

Once your logged in, goto control panel, administratrative Tools, and open up the "local security policy" program. Look for the section for interactive logons and user rights assignement, you will see various settings for logging onto the local machine, the one i think is the issue is the "deny local login" field, if her username is in that field, remove it.

Gary
                Yes but you can't do that on Windows XP Home Edition, only on Professional Edition.

Comment

just turn off the Welcome Screen from the Users applet in the Control Panel. This will force a classic login prompt. Or you could just open up the Group Policy editor and change the setting back to 'Not Configured'

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, I was not able to log in even through safe mode. It seems like something is mess up with the file that contains the password. Does anyone know of a way to get to the hard drive files through DOS or some command line interface? That seems like my last resort before I have to give up and re-install the factory build and losing all the data.

Comment

There is another solution, which works fairly well. See if you can get a copy of a Knoppix CD (the CD image is available on the Interet). It's a distribution of Linux that can be booted from CD. Even if you're never used Linux before, it's a relatively straightforward process to use. All you need to do is 'mount' the HDD you want to recover data from, then transfer it to another machine on the network.

You could access the data via a command line interface, using something like NTFSPro, but it's a bit more complicated setting up a network connection through DOS.

There is a third solution, but it's probably not a good idea posting it on here. Send me a PM and I'll let you know.

Comment

Working...
                      X